Chapter 601

Meanwhile, back with the Caseys:
Matt's POV: As I get a call from my boss, I sigh because I just got the alert on my phone. The CFD Twitter Account just put out an alert that Delaney died of COVID-19 after not revealing it. That meant that they needed a new Battalion Chief (again) at Firehouse 71. God, what does this mean? Oh and one more thing, COVID-19 is back. Looking at Gabby, I turned to looked at her. "If I get asked...what do I say?" Gabby looked at me and went to grab my hand. "You say yes. You were the one that created that house and there is nobody else who should take over." I agreed.

I then went to grab her hand. "I would probably have to start right away." Gabby then nodded. "Just answer the phone and we will talk after." I agreed and then went to pick up the phone. "Commissioner Grissom." Grissom then sighed. "Have you heard about the news Casey?" I sighed when he said that. "Yeah, I follow the CFD on Twitter. I guess since you are calling me, it's true that Delaney has died?" He agreed with me. "Yes, and I know we just promoted you but...we are in a bind. You are the only one that those firefighters will trust." I agreed with him.

"I think I can change it to where I just consult. I will move down to Battalion Chief again. However, I am staying at Firehouse 71. Anyways, my house is just down the street." Gabby looked at me when I said that. "Ask if you can respond to fires from here and do all of your work here at home?" I nodded when she said that. "Would it be possible if I stayed here during shifts and respond to fires from my personal home? I can keep my jacket and radio in my car. We have 6 kids so, if I can be at home while also being on-duty...it would be helpful. Hard to travel."

Grissom laughed when I said that and agreed with me. "Of course Casey, we can let you do that. I understand that you also want to stay safe for your family." I agreed with him. "Now, which shift is there right now...or did you send everybody home for the day?" Grissom agreed with me. "Yes, I am closing the house for 48 hours. Severide will be on shift when the house re-opens. And you can just commute. Be safe and thanks again. Would you like to just be there temporarily or would you..." I then laughed. "I will stay there. I can be commissioner in the future."

Grissom agreed with me. "Understood Casey. Thanks again and good luck on your first shift back." I agreed with him and then smiled as I went to hang up. Turning to look at Gabby, I smiled at her. "You okay with this?" Gabby nodded and smiled at me. Moving close to me, she went to kiss me softly. "Just promise you will stay safe and out of harm's way." I nodded and agreed with her when she said that. "I am going to be here all the time. Whenever I am not on a fire, I am going to be here." Gabby nodded when I said that and smiled. "We can go there for a bit okay?"

I agreed with her. "Do you want to stay in the apartment again or is that too cramped?" Gabby then bit her lip. "Let's try it out tomorrow night okay? If it works, then we can stay there when you have shift." I nodded and agreed with her when she said that. "Louie can go to daycare though. We can just bring the babies. Or your mom can watch him." Gabby nodded and agreed with me when I said that, ready for me to be Battalion Chief again. Kissing her slowly, I couldn't help but smile at the fact that I was going back to the firehouse.

NOTE: I am going to skip 48 hours to Matt's first day back as Chief Casey.