Chapter 707

Matt's POV: After spending the past 30 minutes switching back and forth, reading to Louie in the twins...it was finally my turn to read to them in English again. Just one problem, I was asleep and resting. Gabby of course didn't know that so when she yelled to me, I could hear it in her voice she was worried. "MATT!" Waking up startled, I went to look at her. "I'm awake..." Gabby then turned to look at me. "Oh, were you asleep?" I sighed and nodded when she asked me that.

Turning to look at Gabby, I sighed. "I needed to walk up anyways. Can't sleep the entire day." Gabby nodded when I said that and sighed. I could already tell she felt guilty so, I Decided to grab her hand. Intertwining our fingers, I just looked at her and smiled. "Honestly, it's okay Gabby. I can take a nap later when the babies are asleep and Louie is taking a nap." I then looked down at Gabriel who was all comfortable on my chest. He just smiled at me and I kissed him.

"Hey little man. Sorry daddy fell asleep while we were cuddling in bed. I tired." He just laughed when I said that and smiled as he went to cuddle up to me more. Wrapping my arms around him, I then turned to look at Gabby and smiled at her because I knew...no matter what I said, she was still going to feel guilty for a while that she woke me up. "Matt, if you need to rest..." I just shook my head when she said that. "Gabby, stop worrying about it. It's fine." Gabby just sighed.

That's when I heard Severide come upstairs. "What you guys arguing about now?" I just laughed when he said that, seeing him bring us up some water. "Here, Natalie says to stay hydrated." I agreed with him when he said that and smiled as I went to grab the water he brought up to me. "Thanks man. And we are not arguing. Gabby just woke me up while I was in the middle of napping. I dozed off while we were reading to the kids." He nodded and agree with me.

Severide nodded when I said that and smiled at me. "Honestly, I am not surprised that you fell asleep. You look tired man. You sure that you don't want me to take your older kids downstairs and let them play in the backyard or something?" Gabby shook her head while he asked us that. "As much as we appreciate you wanting to do that for us, I would rather we just hold our family close right now. We almost lost them when we were in the car crash on our date."

Severide nodded and agreed with her when she said that. "Makes sense. Now, how are you guys doing mentally anyways? I don't want you guys getting depressed or anything. You guys are fine and everybody's safe. That's all that matters at the end of the day right?" Gabby nodded and agreed with him when he said that before smiling at him. "When did you become such a wise old man?" I laughed when she said that and smiled at her considering he was starting to go grey.

Severide just sighed. "You saw those hairs didn't you?" Gabby nodded and smiled. "Believe me, women can spot gray hair whenever there is some. Why do you think women buy hair dye so often? The minute they see gray hair, they jump into action and make sure that nobody notices it before they can hide it." I nodded when she said that. "Believe me when I say this babe...you could have a full head of gray hair and I would still love you." Gabby smiled when I said that.

Meanwhile Severide just (fake) gagged). "God, you guys are disgusting sometimes." I laughed and smiled at him. "Look who's talking. I still hear that you guys are all over each other at work even when you are chief. They say that you spend most of your time in the bedroom with Stella instead of socializing with your friends." Severide blushed when I said that. "You check up on how the house is doing?" I nodded and smiled at him. "Yeah, I want to make sure you're safe!"

Severide smiled when I said that and agreed with me. "Thanks man, I like the sound of that. If you don't mind me asking...my job is safe right? You never plan on coming back." I laughed when he said that. "Dude, I am never coming back to the Chicago fire department because I am not cleared to work. I have post-traumatic stress disorder remember? Oh, and I live in Puerto Rico." He agreed with me and smiled when I said that. "So my job is safe, thanks man."

That's when Louie looked up at me. "Daddy, can I go get a snack?" I turned to look at Gabby and she nodded. "Sure, how about you ask uncle Severide to get you a yogurt? Maybe then you can go ask Uncle Jay if you can go outside and play with Champ for a while?" Severide then looked at me and nodded. "If not, I can take him for a swim. Me and Stella were going to go. I know that it's my day to take care of you but Natalie said that she and Will can take over. I'll help Stella."

Turning to look at Gabby, I bit my lip. "Do you trust him to take Louie swimming?" Gabby nodded and smiled. "If I can trust him with your life, then I can trust him with our son's life." I nodded and smiled when she said that. "Then go ahead man and take him. Just make sure that he comes back to us. If he doesn't...then you are a dead man walking." Severide nodded and agreed with me when I said that. He then smiled as he went to look at Louie.

"Hey Louie, how about you come with uncle Severide and we can go take a swim with aunt Stella?" Louie nodded and agreed as he went to get up to go with Severide. "That okay mommy and daddy?" Gabby nodded and smiled when he asked us. "90 minutes max. I want him back for supper. But first, can you help us put the twins and triplets down for some naps? If they can rest...so can we." Severide nodded and agreed as he went to help us put the babies to bed.

"And I already know where everything is in his room. Antonio gave us a tour." Gabby nodded and smiled as we went to put the babies down for a nap. Meanwhile, Severide led Louie out of our room to take him for a swim...giving us some nice alone time.