Chapter 644

"You didn't insult me enough outside? Or do you need to rub it in the wound even more that I am suffering from mental health issues?" -Matt to his sister, Christie

Matt's POV: As I just looked at my sister while she stood at the door, I tried to relax more and just took a breath as I prepared to talk to her. Walking in, she looked at me. "Matt, both Violet and mom just talked to me. And I mean, talked to me. Matt, my daughter and our mom are on your side and it has made me rethink what I said." I just laughed and couldn't believe her. "Sure, because the statistics on the likelihood of firefighters and first responders getting mental health issues wasn't enough to make you change your mind on what you said." Christie then sighed.

Walking over to our bed, she sat down and just looked at me. "Matt, just please listen to me. Both mom and Violet talked to me. It's one thing when your mom is on your brother's side, but it's another thing when your OWN DAUGHTER is on your brother's side. I think that's what really got me to wake up in this case. Violet said that it doesn't matter whether Gabby asked you to quit because she pointed out that you  are expecting your 7th child together. When I looked at it through that point of view, it makes a lot of sense that you are going to quite being a firefighter."

I nodded when she said that and sighed. "And I am not trying to rub it in that you have mental health issues...I shouldn't do that. I should be an ally and help you get through them. That's what older sisters need to do for their brothers. Heck, not just older sisters...sisters in general. And for that, I am so sorry that I didn't support you Matt. Can you forgive me?" I sighed as I looked at her before sitting up. "First, you are going to sit down and we are going to talk about how I felt when you just brushed it off." Christie nodded and agreed with me.

I then took a breath and looked at her. "Christie, when you spoke to me after I told you I was struggling...you made me feel ashamed of myself. It's a known fact that it's hard for people with mental health problems have a hard time accepting it. You think it's been easy for me to accept that it isn't a good idea for me to be a firefighter anymore? Hell no, it's been the hardest thing in the entire world because it was my identity for so long. Heck, it's still my identity in my eyes. For you to stomp on me when I am already down was like a knife to the heart that you twisted in."

I then took a breath before continuing. "Christie, there are guys that I used to work with who are 20 years older than me...and they are still working in the firehouse." Gabby then went to grab my hand when I said that, obviously having not thought about that part of the situation. "And for me to have to quit at my age is just harder. I had these dreams where I was a chief, and my kids were all Lieutenants that worked with me. For that dream to never happen is still something hard for me to wrap my head around. And then I am also dealing with this on top of my kids."

Christie nodded when I said that and agreed with me. "Listen, if you need time away from me...I will figure out something. I will find a hotel where I can stay or something." Gabby then turned to look at me when I said that. "Or, we can do something else..." I turned to look at Gabby when she said that and smirked at the idea. "We go take a night in the hotel while your brother watches the kids?" Christie then looked at me when I said that. "Or I can watch the kids instead..." I sighed and then turned to look at her. "I think right now, that is not the best idea."

Christie looked at me when I said that. "I want to rebuild our relationship before we do that Christie. I am sorry." Christie nodded and understood where I was coming from. I then turned to look at Gabby. "What do you say me and Christie book us a suite?" Christie nodded when I said that. "Yes, that sounds great...I can pay for the suite at least." I then looked at Gabby who then smirked. "Remember that nice Airbnb we stayed in when you came to visit once? What if we tried to stay in that place again? I thought about it and nodded."

Going to kiss Gabby, I smiled at her. "That pool was amazing." Gabby agreed with me. "And we can order food on Uber Eats. We can pay for that though." Christie shook her head. "Nope, that is on me as well. Take a couple nights too. One to cool down after our fight and the other one to celebrate the fact that you guys are pregnant again." I looked at Gabby and then went to grab her hand. "What do you say? I think we deserve it after all the stress we have been under recently." Gabby smiled and agreed with me. "I'll get pumping. Get Christie to give us the credit card details so we can order food on her."

Christie agreed with Gabby when she said that before laughing. "Here, give me your phone and I'll put it in." I nodded and agreed with her, getting up before going to wrap my arms around her. "Thanks sis. you have no idea how much this means to me. I really think that this is exactly what we need." Christie nodded when I said that and smiled at me. "I think so too." I then went to hug her again, thanking her for this ahead of time.

NOTE: I am going to skip an hour to when the Airbnb has been reserved and when Matt and Gabby are ready to go.