Chapter 615

Matt's POV: Once we finished fighting the fire, I just sighed as everybody gathered up at their trucks. Meanwhile, I took a drink of my water before walking over to them. "Listen everybody, I want to thank you all for trying to save the house. This was a hard day and I have already spoken to the District Chief as well as the Commissioner. You are all dismissed until further notice. You will have paid time off until you are summoned back to work at Firehouse 51 or 20." They all agreed and nodded when I said that. "But first, let's come together and let me talk to you all."

Everybody agreed as they got closer to me. They all stood together and I sighed. "Guys, look to your left and right okay?" Everybody then turned to look at each other as I told them to. "The people who are beside you are still your brothers and sisters-in-arms when it comes to what house we belong to. And while right now we work in individual houses....we will always be Firehouse 71. With this great loss, we will not work together on a daily basis. However, there will be a new leader at Firehouse 20 when it reopens. But I want you guys to promise me something."

Everybody just looked at me. "When we run into each other on the streets of Chicago and we have to fight a fire together...I don't care who is on scene first. If you were here...if your truck was part of this firehouse. You will respond to whoever was above you today. We will always be Firehouse 71. We are a team and we will work together. In fact...from now on, you can report to shift at either house 20 or house 51. We are a team, we are 71. Are we all agreed when I say that?" Everybody nodded when I said that. I then smiled at everybody. 

"Now, I have been advised that counselling services will be available. Severide, if possible...can you continue at Firehouse 20 until further notice. I am not sure whether they are going to get a new leader or what's going to happen. Either that, or I am going to figure something out. I need to work at 51 though because there's a bedroom there for me and Gabby." Severide nodded when I said that. "Can Stella move with me?" I then bit my lip. "Carving, do you mind working at Firehouse 51 instead of Firehouse 20?" Carving nodded and agreed. "Of course Chief."

I agreed with him when he said that and smiled. "Guys, I want to thank you for being such great sports over the past few months. I know that the merger has not gone very smoothly but...I am impressed. Now, I have a feeling this is arson. So when we figure out what we are going to do...I want you all to promise me that you will come back and you won't complain. Whoever did this needs to be shown that they can't defeat Firehouse 71! Are we understood?" Everybody nodded when I said that. I then went to hug Severide and smiled. "I will see you at big fires."

I agreed with him and smiled when he said that. "Everybody is dismissed from shifts effective immediately. Have a good time off." Everybody then walked away. Meanwhile, I walked over to Grissom, Walker and Patterson. "Thanks for your help today Patterson." Patterson nodded and agreed with me before going to shake my hand. "You would do the same Chief Casey." I smiled when he said that and agreed with him. I then went to look at Grissom before sighing. "Are you disappointed that this didn't work?" Grissom shook his head. "This isn't your fault Casey."

I sighed when he said that and agreed with him. "We are going to have to put those mergers on hold. And I am going to need some time to grieve. Sorry if I am taking this so hard." Grissom then looked at me. "What's wrong Casey?" I sighed and went to tear up a bit. "This was my baby. This was my project that you assigned me. I created this house, this model and I was supposed to make it work. Had I just told the FBI to screw themselves and go work at 51...then maybe this wouldn't have happened. So, I am sorry for that. I blame myself."

That's when I heard Gabby walk over to me. "You are not to blame for this Matt." Turning to look at her, I was shocked. "Gabby?" Gabby then walked over to me and nodded as she went to rub her back. "Our moms have the kids. And they are going to take care of them for a while. You have me okay?" I nodded when she said that before sighed as I went to wrap my arms around her. Kissing her head, I just held her close. "You already grab my things?" Gabby nodded and agreed with me. "Yeah, we are heading home right away." I smiled when she said that.

I then looked at Grissom. "Think I can give you my pants and stuff? I really just need to head home right now." Grissom nodded and agreed with me. "Casey, I feel like you are about to burst in tears...are you okay?" I then sighed and shook my head. "Then Casey, take leave. I will give you paid leave. Take however you want and just do whatever you need to do to grieve." Gabby turned to look at me when I said that and liked the idea. "I think that is a brilliant idea. Matt c'mon, let's go. Let's go home to the kids okay and we can take time alone. No kids at all."

I then looked at her. "The triplets?" Gabby then looked at me. "With my mom and Antonio in the basement." I then looked at her. "The twins?" Gabby then smiled. "With your mom on the second floor." I smiled when she said that. "Louie?" Gabby then smiled. "Your sister. Meanwhile, we are going to go home and pack for a vacation. I Know the kids are young but babe...you need it. We have lost Boden, Delaney, your uncle....we have a lot on our minds. We need time alone. Just the two of us." I nodded when she said that. "Let's go home for now."

Gabby nodded and agreed with me when I said that. Grabbing my hand, she sighed as we prepared to go home.