a mother's child

[A request. Kate comforts Clem from one of her nightmares. Tried to stay somewhat canon but me not being active in the community for....a time, I did my own thang lol.]

[IM SO SORRY THIS TOOK SO LONG Rachel787879 ]

[CW: Mentions of death, dead bodies and the idealization of suicide but i swear it ends on a comforting note.]

-
Ashes to ashes, dust to dirt. Wellington was engulf in crimson flames, a sight you remember so distinctively even though it happened some three-ish years ago by now. It's a dream, you tell yourself as you walk forward. It's only a dream. Horses neighing and rushing past you in a frenzy, screams of agony followed by gunshots could be heard in the near distance as you draw your pistol. This isn't real! Bodies drop infront of you of people you remember. Lee Everett, who fought so tirelessly to save you, was nothing more than a lifeless corpse infront of you, his left arm still missing from when you last remembered him by. Kenny, the man who took you to Wellington and was abbandoned at the gates during the harsh winter, his body frosted over and dead. Jane, the woman who toughen you up, laying dead with a pool of blood around her from Kenny and hers final bout. Javi and Gabe Garcia, father and son who die in Richmind trying to fix a corrupted system of power. How many lived have I lost....? How many lives am I worth...? I shook my head and walked past the corpses until AJ's crying from within the building alerted my attention. Flames ate away at everything, books, carpet, Wellington was a literal hell. Thick clouds of smoke blurred my vision as I carefully walked through it as AJ's cries only got louder and harsher. As the toxic air filled my lungs, the world got harder to navigate but I still pressed on. I will find you AJ. Fingertips grazing against the knob of a door, I pushed open and was met with a rifle pointed at me. An older woman, probably in her late 50's or so, with stark white hair and round glasses held the rifle with shaky hands as AJ cried in a nearby crib.

"I don't want to hurt you, ma'am. I'm here for AJ-"

"RAIDER! YOU'RE ONE OF THOSE RAIDER PEOPLE, I WON'T LET YOU TAKE ANOTHER CHILD!" A bullet shot out of the rifle and grazed my cheek, hitting the door. Instinctively, I grabbed my knife and lunged at her, stabbing her in the throat. As the light left her eyes and she collasped to the ground, I turned my attention to AJ, who was staring at me in horror.

"AJ...?" I reach my hand out to him and stop short as I see the fresh crimson blood on my hand. AJ whimpers as he crawls as far away as he could from me in the crib and lets out sniffles and tears as I sink into the floor. "I'm a murderer." AJ's cries only got louder and louder as the snaps amd crackles of the wood interior burned and came alive in the fires.

"Clem?" The voice was familiar but I stared at the blood on my hands, innocent blood spilt.

"I'm a murderer." My voice spoke aloud but my lips did not move. Smoke began to surround me, obscurring my sight from AJ.

"Clem?!" Tears fell down my face but it remained dry as the world became dark around me.

"I'm a murderer." Words echoed around me as a piercing white light engulfed me.

"CLEM WAKE UP!" A feeling of warmth overcomes me as I awaken abruptly in Kate's arms. "Clem." She sighed in relief as she held me closer. "You were having a nightmare again, weren't you?" Unable to speak as I'm choked up with tears, I just nod in response. "Do you....want to watch the sunrise with me? The belltower gives a beautiful view." There was a long moment of silence as tears streamed down my face in a bitter attempt to stop them. "Or, we can just sit here. Whatever makes you most comfortable. Just know that I'm here." A small crying whimper escaped my lips as I rubbed my eyes, Kate's hold on me becoming tighter and warming.

"Y-yeah, the belltower. I'd...I'd like that." I manage to choke out as I dried my tears. Kate helped me to my feet as we walked out of the dormitory. A cool, early morning breeze blew through my body, chilling my bones as we climbed up the belltower. "Kate?"

"Yeah, Clem?"

"Why didn't you stay in Richmond? Why did you decide to come with me?" She sighed as we reached the top, staring out over the community and the treetops that seemed to go endlessly into the horizon.

"There was nothing left for me there. After the muertos attacked us...seeing Gabe just....and Javi- I knew I couldn't stay and fighting the horde with what limited supplies we had was a death wish." Kate sat down on the roof and I sat besides her, trying my best to ignore the cold winds whipping through my hair. "You lost everything, I remember you telling me about Lee and Kenny, Jane and Rebecca and so many others that fought with their lives to protect you. Though you've lost alot, you still have me. I'm not perfect, AJ is still iffy when it comes to me but I just wanted to be a constant in your life. Someone you can come to and who loves you-"

"Like a mom." Kate nodded and smiled.

"Yeah, I guess, in a way." I wrapped my arms around her and hugged Kate. "Feels a little weird, I never got the chance to be a mother."

"Well here's your chance now." As the morning sun's light pierced the tree's horizon, a wave of relief fell upon me and it was visibly apparent on Kate's face. "Thank you, mom."

"Anytime, my Clementine."