ice cream and smiles

[Modern AU set during Summer Break with our Erickson Troubled Youth gang]

"2 scoops please! With sprinkles!," smiled AJ as he sat on Louis's shoulders, reaching for a vanilla sprinkled waffle cone. 95⁰F and the sky was overhead, beating down on the group. Louis sipped his half melted blue raspberry slurpee as he carried AJ to the backyard. Clem, Violet, Aasim, Tenn, Ruby, Brody, Mitch, Marlon and Omar were in the gigantic in ground pool. Beach balls thrown back and forth. Water splashing all around. It's mid-July and the days last forever.

"Come on in Lou, we were finna play Chicken," yelled Violet as she gets on Omar's shoulders. Louis looks up at AJ.

"Wanna play?"

AJ smiled and finished off the remainder of his frozen treat. "CHICKEN FIIIIIIGHTTT!" Louis jumps into the pool and everyone else backs away to the edge.

"First one to get knocked off, loses. Ready yall," Clem was the so-called "referee", standing between the two teams. All four of them nodded and Clem threw Violet and AJ pool noodles.

"I want a good clean chicken fight. No swearing, nothing below the belts, or in this case, pool short drawstrings. Get ready, get set-"

"GO," screamed Tenn as he watched happily. Clem rushed out of the way as Louis and Omar ran straight for each other. Tall, dark, muscular Louis and adorable, ice creamed face, goofball AJ verus thin, sunkissed, gay Violet and tanned, buff, broad-built Omar. The friend quad stared at each other in the eyes, waiting to make the first move, waiting for an opening.

"Get on with it, I'm dying of heat stroke over here," whinned Ruby, which distraced Louis and AJ long enough for Violet to hit Louis in the neck with the pool noodle.

"CHEAP SHOT," laughed AJ as he pulls out his water gun. Violet's eyes widen.

"ARE WATER GUNS LEGAL CLEM?!"
Clem shrugged as she drinks an ice cold bottle of Dr. Pepper.

"DROWN EM AJ," screamed Clem as she raises her bottle in salute. The others cheered and chanted "AJ!" along with Clem.

Violet rolled her eyes. "You better sleep with one eye open tonight."

AJ loaded the water gun and aimed it at Violet.

"Do your worst," dared Violet.

"You asked for it." AJ quickly squirts Omar in the eyes, making him lose his hold on Violet, letting her fall into the pool.

"WE WIN," yelled Louis in excitement. Violet resurfaces and smiles.

"Smart move, little man." The group cheered as they all cannonball into the pool and enjoy the rest of the beautiful summer's day.