teaching

[Clem teaching AJ about self defense, walkers, and survival. AJ is about 3 years old]

"What do we do when we search out a new area," asks Clementine as AJ looks at the seemingly vacant corner store.

"Look for an exit, right?" Clementine nodded. She gave AJ a small knife.

"Stay hidden and cover me." Clementine crouched and slowly walked into the store, searching for anything of use. Empty cans and broken glass laid all around the store. Empty shelves and blood filled the walls. The bloodcurddling scream of agony caught Clementine's attention. As she peers over an empty shelf railing, she witnesses 2 zombies mercilessly gnaw into a young women. Seeing the spark dying out in her eyes, Clem raised her gun and shot the 2 walkers. Rushing over to the victim, she held her dying body. The women looked up at Clem, blood spilling out from her lips.

"Don't....let me.....turn," she moaned as the life in her eyes died out, like someone blew out a lit candle. Respecting her dying wish, she shot the woman in the head. AJ came rushing in and was frightened by the bloody scene. He clinged to Clementine's leg like it was his lifeline.
"It's okay AJ," Clem whispered. She held him in her arms.
"Why did you kill her?"

"She was bitten, she didn't want to turn."

"I'm glad she's not a monster."

Clementine put AJ down and searched the dead lady's body. She had a small knife and a loaded gun. She could've fought back.

"Time to go?," asked AJ as he watched the door for walkers.

"Yes. There's nothing here."

"Will we find a home?"

"I'm sure we will. Cmon lets go."

As they entered the car and drove off once again, AJ stared out the car window. He was intreguied by the world, even if it was rotting to death by an unknown plague. It was the world he knew, the only way he knew it.

"Clem?" The air had been silence for quiet some time minus the low humming from the car.

"What's up kiddo?"

"I want to learn more. I want to learn to hunt, to protect, to kill-"

"Killing isn't easy, AJ."

"You seem to do it alot, almost like its just normal."

"Well it isn't. Killing...it breaks something inside you. I do it to protect you, to protect us."

"Do you like it?"

"Hate it. But it's just something I've learned to deal with."

The air sat still and silent again, the car's low rumbling making the only noise.

"Why...why did all of this happen? The monsters, everyone dying?"

Clem sighed and looked at AJ through the rear view mirror.

"It just happened one day. Out of nowhere. The day before, everything was fine and normal."

"Do you think monsters will be around forever?"

"No, not forever. Just for a long while."

"I'll kill any monster that tries to hurt you."

Clem smiled at the thought of it.

"Thank you my protector." AJ smiled back and the road laid empty as they sped off to find a new home.