violentine's day

[February 14th....]

"CLEMMMMMMMM," AJ screamed with excitement as he ran into my room, knocking my poster of baseball player Javier Garcia onto the floor.

"What's up kiddo?" I looked at the pink handmade card in his tiny fingers.

"I made this for you. I hope you like it." I open the pink card and spelt out in multi-coloured crayon reads "I LOVE YOU CLEMENTINE!!!" above a picture of the two of us.

"I love it, AJ," I pull him into a hug and kiss his forehead. "I got you a surprise too, cmon it's outside." I grab my crutches and slowly stride out the patio door. There was a single tree in our backyard, a large mahogany tree. AJ's eyes widened at the sight of his surprise, a tire swing.

"Is that for me?" I nodded and smiled as he ran over to inspect it.

"Come on, I'll push you." The small child jumped into the swing as I pushed him higher and higher into the sky.

"I'm flying!!!!" For once, AJ was smiling, acting like a kid. The last few weeks have been rough on him. When my uncle Lee and I got into a head on collision, he died due to the head injuries he sustained. My left leg was severly crushed and the doctors thought it would be best for me to remove it. My aunt Jane was gracious enough to open her home to us and we've been here ever since. While she's at work, AJ takes care of me. As much as he comforts me, nothing will ever make me forget that night....

"AJ, Clem! Time for school," Jane hollered from inside the house. AJ hopped out of the swing and looked up at me.

"I love you, Clem. Do you think you'll be alright without me today?" I nodded.

"Louis is picking me up in his limo along with the others."

"Man, I wanna ride in a limo." AJ pouted.

"Tell ya what, you be a good boy at school today and we will pick you up in the limo. Deal?" AJ shook my hand.

"Deal."

           *         *         *        *       *

Erickson High School. 4 years of suffering later, I am a senior. Today was my first day back since my accident nearly a month ago and I'm rather anxious for this day to be over with. Showing up with one less limb will surely give me some unwanted attention but at least I'm still rocking with my group of weirdos. I miss the snowy wintery days of the north. Georgia was still beautiful in the winter despite its lack of white substance plaguing the grass and roofs. Supported by my crutches and AJ, I carefully enter Louis's black limo. Louis popped his head out of the window and waved goodbye to AJ and Jane as we pulled off.

"Hey Clemster," Louis smiled. "I see you're doing better." I shrugged.

"Moreorless."

"Well once the gang's all here, things will be okay."

We made several more stops, picking up Violet and Brody, then Marlon and Mitch, followed lastly by James.

"Clemmm," Violet whinned. "I missed my queer."

"Speak for yourself lesbo," Mitch snapped. "I missed the star softball player."

"Shut up, Mitch the bitch. I've missed Clem the most! I even made her a scarf." Brody handed me a hand sewned lavander coloured wool scarf. It felt so soft and warm against my skin I totally forgot about the heated argument engaging around me.

"Hey, I missed you weirdos too," I interrupted as Violet grabbed my bat, ready to beat the shit out of Marlon. She lowered the bat and looked at me with her soft, ocean green eyes.

"Clem, we gotta talk, later," Violet whispered into my ear as we pulled up into the school. I nodded and Louis and Mitch helped me to my feet from the limo. We thanked the driver as he pulled off, leaving us in a sea of students.

Locker 148, my locker. It laid empty as I was studying and catching up on work from the comforts of my bed. Marlon carried my backpack from class to class, Aasim gave me his throughly written notes from each class, and Ruby baked me a "welcome back" cake. The sweetness of the buttercream frosting was absolutely a welcoming cavity invitation but I had little care. All that overcame my thoughts was the delicacy that was Ruby's famous cake.

         *         *        *       *

12:54 read on the clock overhead. School ended promptly at 1. Civil War History, my least class, was winding down for the day. Violet glanced at me from across the class room and motioned for me to look at my phone as Mr. Franklin stepped out into the hallway.

PurpleLesbo: there's something i need to ask you. Stay after class for a bit?

OneLeggedPirate: of course

I rested my phone back into my sweatpants pocket as the elderly teacher walked back into class just as the bell ringed.

"Make sure you study for the Chapter 18 quiz Friday," he yelled as the rambonxious students filled into the halls. Just me and the lemonade haired girl stood in the classroom. She walked over to my desk, clutching her belonging tightly into her chest.

"Clem?"

"Vi?"

She sucked in a deep breath before exhailing. "Do....I...um..fuck. I like you, Clem." Her words were of little shock to me.

"I know." Her face brightly turned red as she stared at the tiled flooring.

"H...how did ya know...if I may ask?"

"Remember the night of my accident? You were so worried about me, you were drinking alcohol and beer. Then on the phone call, you said and I quote:

"I'm in love with you. You better not disappear on me okay?"

Violet's blushing only intensified.

"Andddd I borrowed your notebook and in the back cover you drew our initials around a heart."

Violet looked worried at me, afraid she ruined our friendship or an attempt at love.

"Clem, I-"

"I love you, dummy."

Flustered and embarrassed, she turned away from me, the biggest grin stamped on her face.

"Cmon, Lou's waiting for us," Violet handed me my crutches. As we walked to Louis's limo, the sky grew cloudy and snowflakes fell from the heavens above.

"Wow," Aasim stared at the falling crystals. Me and Violet looked at each other.

"Happy Valentine's Day," she kissed me on my cheek.

"No. Happy Violentine's Day," I corrected and kissed the blonde back.

A/N: originally this was gonna be a sad oneshot butttt I decided against it. Anyways, once again thank you to all of the readers. I love you guys.
Xoxo
-Chantel