love's (not) dead

[Modern Vinerva AU]

Minerva.....I love her. Sometimes, I wonder if she really does love me back....and then I realize I'll never know because she's stuck in this fucking coma....all because of-

"Clementine Marsh is here to see you, Ms. Violet," the nurse spoke softly as he grabbed Minnie's files from the table and rushed out of the room.

-Clementine.

"I'm sorry, Violet. I'm so sorry-"

"Why are you here," I spoke swiftly and harsh. The mere sight of her only distressed me and made my blood boil.

"To aplogize-"

"You should leave. Now." I sat there in my seat, gripping at the armrests with such force, I was sure the carved wood would give away at any moment.
"Haven't you ruined enough?!"

The room stood silent as I stared at her, stared at her big brown eyes filling with tears. The way her gasps for air as those tears fell down her face and her body dropped to her knees on the floor. The way she looked at me, begging for forgiveness. All of which just filled me with ecstacy and delight.

"Looks like the mighty Clementine finally cracked under the pressure. What does it feel like, Clem? What does it feel like now that your pretty pink parade has burned and rages in flames? Tell me, how does it feel knowing your whole world has turned upside down?,'" I stood up from my chair, grasping my cup of water in my hand.
"Tell me, my love, what does it feel like to lose everything?"
_______________________________________

[One Year Ago....]

"Goddamnit, Clem! SLOW DOWN," I yelled as I chased my brunette lover, who was captivated by a random dog being walked down a street.

"NO! I WANNA PET THE DOGGY!"

"YOU RAN OUT OF MY SPEEDING CAR TO PET A DOG?!"

"YES!" I rolled my eyes as I finally caught up to her, petting a cute little black terrier puppy.

"Next time," I gasped for air. "Next time, I'm leavin ya ass," I sat on the ground to catch my breath, probably ran a mile to get to her. Probably have to walk another mile back to the car.

"I'm sorry baby," she sat next to me and laid her head on my shoulder.
"I just really like dogs."

"I can tell," I smiled as I scrambled to my feet. "Cmon, I wanna go home to see Bucky."

"Bucky hates me."

"Correction, WE hate you. I just hate you alot less."

"Wowww Vi. Thanks," she punched me in the shoulder.

"No problem," I laughed. The walk back to the car was slow and painless, almost too good to be true. Until I reached into my pockets and discovered a fear. The fear of leaving the keys in the ignition of an unlocked car. And with that sudden boost of adrenaline pumping within my veins, I ran towards where I remembered leaving the car, hoping by some sheer luck the truck would still be there. As if written in a fanfiction, the F-150 was there, intact, without anything obviously wrong with the vehicle. I sighed in relief as I hopped into the driver's seat of my beloved truck.

"I love you," I whispered into the steering wheel as I felt my pulse lessen and return to normality. I hadn't even realized Clem was in the truck until I looked up and turned the keys.

"I'm sorry," she smiled. No matter how bad situations were, she brought out the best in me.

At least.....

I thought that were to be true.....

Yeah.....

When we returned to my house, just a simple one story home made out of oak logs, the house was ablaze in flames.

"No," I dropped to my knees, staring at my home burning right before me. And I was useless to stop it.
"BUCKY!! BUCKY WHERE ARE YOU?!"

No answer.

"BUCKY," Clementine cried out. Still no answer. The sirens of the fire department neared and all I could do was puke up whatever was contained in my stomach as tears streamed down my face.

"Bucky...."
_______________________________________

The sniffles of a former lover broke me out of my daydreams-turned-nightmarish. I looked at her, her puffy eyes and snotted nose. Then, it hit me.

"I was like you. Broken beyond repair. Tragedy has a funny way of fucking you."

"Why did you leave me, Violet?"

"You left me for Louis. Might as well change for the weather as well," I sat back down in my chair, staring at Minerva's body as cords and wires pumped life into her pale body.
"So, how long?"

"How long what?"

"How long have you two been together while we were still- while I was still in love with you?"

"5 months give or take," she responded truthfully as she sighed.

"That's....," my voice trailed off without much effort for me to find the will to connect the two dots, the senteces together.

"I wasn't drunk when it happened," Clementine protested angerily.

"So you just ran her over while fully competent and understanding of your actions,"I stood up from my chair, my voice elevated in loudness but still stood firm in tone.
"Fuck you, Clementine. I'll make sure ya ass rot in jail for all of this shit!"

"Fuck you, Violet!" The girl turned away, exiting the room and slamming the door behind her. Walking over to my injured lover, one single thought crossed my mind.

I'll make her pay for this Minnie. I'll make her burn.