should've

"The first rule is never go alone."

"Never go alone. Why is that?"
I turned towards Tenn.

"Do you want to learn or get someone else killed?"

"I want to learn AJ."

"Follow the rules, no questions asked." Tenn sighed as he walked besides the younger boy. Confidence within myself was shaken, Violet was dead because of me. I could've shot Tenn, leaving enough time for Violet to jump across. But Clementine didn't trust me with tough choices. Seeing the monsters just tear into Violet's body like it was nothing. Chewing into her flesh and bones, blood splattering like rain on the windows. Like a car crash, I couldn't look away. In all of its horror, I witnessed Violet die. I blamed Tenn but in reality, I blame myself.

****

"What's rule two," Tenn asked as we carried the bucket of fish back home.

"Rule two, in a new place, always look for a way out. Always. In case of monsters or bad guys." Tenn nodded at the sound of this new information. The walk home was pretty quite, I was used to silence. It helped me think about myself, the world, others....

"AJ!" Tenn pointed to a monster quickly approaching us.

"Watch me!" I kicked the monster in the leg and stabbed my life through its left eye. As the lifeless body fell to the ground, I turned towards Tenn and handed him my smaller knife.

"Always have a weapon." I dropped the tacky knife into his palm and began walking with the fish pail in hand.

"Anymore rules?"

"Tons, but for now, just remember the most important one; follow your gut. Clem didn't really teach me that but ya know. I think it's important."

"Were you following your gut when you shot Marlon?"

"Yup." Silence filled the air again.
"Strength in numbers."

"What?"

"To answer your question from earlier. Never go alone, 2 heads are better than one, always."

****

We returned back home to beloved Texas Two as Violet wanted to name it. Ruby and Aasim were tending to the horses, Louis was with Clem and Willy playing cards, and Chef Omar was stirring his big pot filled with stew. I handed him the bucket filled with fish and proceeded to walk over to Clem.

"Hey there kiddo." She seemed to be doing better since that day. Her girlfriend died, her leg got chopped off, alotta shit went shitty but I'm glad she's still here.

"You feeling better?"

"Yeah," she sighed and turned towards me. "I was wrong to have doubted you. I should've told you how proud I am of you sooner...." her voice trailed off as she looked towards the graveyard.

"I miss her too."

"I...um. Shit. How's Tenn? Heard you've been teaching him."

"He's...learning." I sighed and plopped besides her on the couch. "It's tough but I think he's getting it."

"Lets go see what he's up to." I handed Clem her crutches and we walked towards him, aiming a gun at the archery target.

"Hey Tenn-"

A gunshot fired off. Everyone looked at Tenn, holding the gun. A scared look painted on his face and mine as well. Clementine held her stomach as her red blood stained onto her fingers and clothes.

"CLEM," I screamed as she fell to the ground. The sky darkened and it began to storm. I was sad and angry and I looked at Tenn.
"YOU!!" I kicked him in the leg and punched him in the face.
"SHE'S DEAD! ALL BECAUSE OF YOU!"

"AJ, I didn't mean-"

"All you ever do is get people killed! Clem didn't trust me at the bridge and I spared your life. I could've shot you and Violet would've been alive. Clementine would still be alive. But GOD FUCKING SHIT I GOT STUCK WITH YOU HERE! YOU GOT VIOLET KILLED AND NOW CLEM'S DEAD! ALL. BECAUSE. OF YOU."

Thunder roared overhead as the rain drops did not cease.

"I'LL END THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL! BEFORE YOU GET ANYONE ELSE KILLED!" Before anyone could even open their lips to take in a breath, AJ fired off the gun one last time. Tennessee's body fell to the ground, a bullet hole as big and as round as his thumb was printed into his head. AJ sighed and looked back at the cold body of his protector.

"Goodbye, Clem....."