writer's block

Clementine sat alone in her dorm room, typing carelessly away on her laptop. The quiet pitter patters of the keyboard were the only noise in the silenced night. Dark rings under her eyelids formed as exhaustion over came her. Glancing at her bedside clock, 3:14 a.m. illuminated in its haunting red glow. My chipped coffee laid empty on my nightstand and she was in dire need of energy.

"A quick nap and then it's back to work," she yawned as she shut her eyelids and drifted off into sleep.

****

"Clementine, darling, you look magnificent." Clementine rubbed her eyes as she woken to find herself in an everlasting field of flowers, wearing a rose gold coloured dress.

"Where am I? Who are you?"

"Don't ya remember? I'm your subconscious." The voice finally displayed itself in a physical form. Her facial features resembled that of the original Clementine but her clothes were worn and tattered and her body was covered in scars and dirt.

"Why do you look that way?"

"This is the persona you manifested in your writings. I am from your mind." She smiled sinisterly and took off the backpack from her back. She unzipped it and handed Clementine a bloodied knife.

"You really are from my writings." She studied the knife and then the person.
"So why are you here haunting me?"

"You said you didn't want your little book to end, but you proceeded to end it, my book."

"Everything has an end eventually."

"But this wasn't how mine should've ended. What sastisfaction does the reader have in the fact that a kid growing up in the hell hole that the world became just died?! After everything I've been through, I get mauled by a herd of walkers."

Clementine looked at the persona she had created. She was rather proud of her work, through 4 award nominated novels, lots of tears and rewrites, her persona's words overcame her with guilt.

"It's not too late to make this ending a good one," she held out her hand and Clementine happily accepted it.
"Look I know writing's hard, believe me. You're pressured into creating original ideas and twists to leave readers begging for more. But don't forget, keep it simple stupid. Ya don't gotta use the biggest, fanciest words or explain every little fucking detail. Just let it come to you naturally." Persona Clem grabbed the bloodied knife and her backpack.

"The sun will be rising soon. Don't pressure yourself so much kid. Whatever you do, just know, I'm proud to call you my author."

"I'm proud to call you my creation."

"And nice touch adding AJ. He's a cute kid. But damn, shooting Marlon.....that was a bit of a bummer."

"I'm not rewriting the whole story kid." Persona Clem laughed.

"And you won't. Look, just make an ending that really gets people in their feelings, is warm and comforting, and provides closure."

"Will I see you again in another dream?"

"Maybe, maybe not. But if not, just reread my story. I'll always be in your heart."

The beautiful scenery around me began to crack with light. The flowers began to wilt and the everlasting sun began to set.

"Time to wake up. You have a stoty to finish."

Gasping for air, Clementine jolted awake from her slumber. She grabbed her laptop and began to frantically type once more. Minutes turned to hours as the sun shined through the cracks of her blinds.

"After 4 hours of non-stop work, it's finished." I closed my laptop and fell back onto my bed.
"I hope you like the ending...endings," she snickered as she grabbed her phone.

NewMessages: (3)

BeLOUga: hows the sotry?
BeLOUga: storfy*
BeLOUga: STORY*** GOODAMMIT

Clemster: Just got done with it

BeLOUga: Can i read it?

Clemster: Yes but there are multiple endings.

BeLOUga: OOOOOOH INTERESTING

Clemster: I wanted to give the story a "you choose the character's fate" kind of ordeal.

BeLOUga: nice kiddo, I can't wait to read it!

Clemster: Telltale said that they were gonna publish the book soon, just gotta send a hard-copy first.

Clemster: fuck. my. life.

BeLOUga: ????

Clemster: none of what I've been writing was backed up or saved......

Clemster: I'm going to sleep, wake me up when this nightmare is over.