a-n-g-e-l

"All you'll ever have is one day with her."

"I could live forever in a day with her."

"All I need is one more day with her."

One more day.
Another 24 hours.
That's all I had left.
Once the sun rose, I knew I'd have to make today count, should this really be my last. I couldn't be stuck in this hospital any longer. The treatments no longer help and the docs lost faith in my recovery. If I were to die, I wanted one more day on Earth, enjoying life with her.

"AJ?" her voice whispered as I grabbed my crutches. "Whatca doin there kiddo?" Her voice was sad, I could tell.

"Did they tell you?" She nodded and hugged me tight. "I wanna make my last day count, I don't care what they say."

"Well, what do you want to do?" A wide toothy smile appeared on my face.

"Lets go see our friends." Clementine handed me my old Disco Broccoli tee and jeans.

"Get dressed, we got an adventure," her voice cracked at the end. I don't blame her. I'm sad about dying too but I guess we should make the most of one more day here.

****
"Clem, we couldn't have just gotten an UBER?!" I screamed as Clem speeds down the almost empty freeway. "AT THIS RATE I'LL BE LUCKY ENOUGH TO SURVIVE THIS CAR RIDE!!"

"Relax, I got this." I looked on the dashboard and "110 mph" displayed on the spedometer. Without cops in sight, she was free to go faster than most would deem appropriate. Getting off the freeway, she significantly slowed down and cruised the streets towards Violet's house. When we arrived, the blonde was sitting on her porch with her beloved rottweiler puppy, Bucky, besides her. I ran towards Bucky and hugged him as he licked my cheek.

"I missed you Bucky." The dog happily barks and rolls onto his belly so I could pet him. Violet smiled at the sight of us, a young boy and a lovable puppy. She knew I was sick and always visited me after my chemo treatments. I didn't wanna tell her today was my last day...

"How's the treatment, soldier," she asked me as Bucky jumped into her lap. For a moment, I froze. I wanted to be honest but that meant breaking her heart....

"It's going well. The doctors say I'll be better really soon, without too much pain." Techincally, I wasn't lying. I was gonna die but I'd be out of pain....I hoped.

"Keep on fighting dude. Lets go tell Louis how well you're going." She motioned me inside her home.

"Louis is here?," I tensed up a bit. Louis could always tell when something seemed up.

"Probably hungover on the couch but yeah." She walked inside her small home and yelled for him. The shattering of glass and muffled thuds inside proved to us three that he was, indeed, hungover.

"Hey guys," the dreadhead smiled as he stumbled towards the door, half dressed. "Pardon my apperance, I couldn't refuse a drink."

"More like 4," Violet snickered as she grabbed her mug of coffee.

"Even at early as fuck o'clock, you're rippin on me huh?"

"Lou, it's 4:32 P.M."

"That's pretty early," he yawned as he stepped outdoors.
"Clemmy and AJ!!!!" He embraced me in one of his famously tight, loving hugs. Although he reeked of alcoholic drinks and sweat, I could tell his hugs were loving. One last hug before....

"So what's up lil man? The docs takin good care of ya?" He sat on the cement porch step as Bucky laid in his lap.

"Yup. Today was my last day of chemo," I didn't lie, today was my last day of treatment....and living....but I couldn't tell Louis that. I couldn't let the optimistic dreadlocked pianist know of my cruel fate.