He's had worse pt. 2

⚠️TW- abuse and dissociation⚠️

*3RD POV*

Peter didn't speak as Tony wrapped his wounds.

He was so quiet lately.

For a while there, he had begun to open up to the other avengers little by little but then, he became closed off once again. He looked scared a lot of the time. Scared to do something wrong, maybe scared of Tony and the others. He had no idea what had happened at home and he highly doubted Peter would ever tell him everything in detail but god, he didn't deserve this.

He didn't even know the half of it, the worst of it, but Peter didn't deserve this.

Tony glanced at Peter, tightening the gauze on his arm. He stared off into the distance, tears still welled up in his eyes. Once in a while, a thick droplet would drag down his face in a sad, slow trail.

Tony sighed and used his thumb to wipe it away.

"Hey," he whispered, scared to even raise his voice another octave. "You ok?" "Yeah," he replied plainly.

He was lying. Tony could tell when he lied. Though Peter had been closed off now, he had allowed them to get close over the past few months. Tony cared for Peter, more than he cared for most. He only let a few people into his little family circle and he had definitely become one of them.

"You're allowed to not be ok, kid." His voice never got this soft, got this comforting with anyone. Maybe Pepper on a bad day but this was different.
With Peter, he just felt an overwhelming, paternal urge to protect. He hated referring to it as paternal, but there was no other way he could.

Peter looked away and another few tears fell from his eyes. He used his sleeve to wipe it away.

He was just a kid. A kid who really, really needed someone right now.

Tony kept his hand on Peter's injured arm, careful not to put any pressure on it.
"It's true kid. You're allowed to- to be sad."

He shook his head.

"You are. Did he tell you that?"

When the kid looks up at him like a wounded dog, Tony feels his heart rate pick up, thinking he overstepped boundaries but then, Peter shrugs.

So a yes.

Tony moves his hand onto Peter's shoulder.
"He's a dumbass."

Something between a laugh and a sob escaped Peter's lips.

Tony grinned, "There he is."

The room got silent for a moment. "Is there anything else that hurts?" The kid looks like he doesn't want to say. "I can just check with FRI, Pete. I'll know either way."

"My... my shoulder. It's a little- it's stupid but-"

"It's not stupid."

Peter suddenly jumps to wipe his tears as if something was coming.

"Hey, FRI said you guys were in here."