Afterlife

*3RD POV*

The last thing Tony remembers is closing his eyes, a sense of calm in his veins.

But then he opens them, seeing that he's in an odd room, one that he's never been in before.

"... Hello?"

He walked through the house. Where was he? He rubbed his eyes as he realized how lightheaded he felt.

Maybe he survived the snap and someone brought him into someone's house?

"Pete? Morgan? Pep? Anyone home..?"

When Tony turned a corner, he found himself in front of a few people. A feeling of familiarity began as they stared at him with wide eyes.

"Um... hi. Listen, I don't know if I'm in the wrong house or-"

"Oh my god," the woman cried, hugging him. He patted her back awkwardly. "If I know you, I'm really sorry but I can't remember-"

"No, no you don't... you don't exactly know us Tony."

"Yet you know me? Where's Peter? Morgan? Everyone else? What am I doing here?"

"Stark you're... you're.. gone."

"I'm gone? Well I've got to get home," Tony sputtered. He couldn't leave them. He couldn't just leave his family alone!

"I don't think you can Tony-"

"Why not?!"

"You just can't."

Tony grabbed her arm, grunting in frustration.

"Well you need to fucking explain then! Where am I?! Was I really just kidnapped again? I just saved the univers-..." Realization hit him like a brick. "Oh my god.."

"Yes. You- we're Peter's family. I'm Mary Parker. That's Richard and that's Ben, Peter's uncle."

So that's why he recognized them.

He remembered the first time Peter had talked to him about his parents after a bad day.

That little shit named Bash or something decided to taunt him for it as if it was his fault. He'd rambled through what he remembered. What they looked like, what they'd acted like, the small memories he still held on to and cherished...

By the end of it he was teary- eyed, obviously barely holding it together. Tony had immediately walked towards him and wrapped his arms around the kid, muttering reassurances.

"But- but the kid- I can't leave him- I can't leave my family." "Stark this was your choice... there's no going back." "Listen, Mr. and Mrs. Parker, it was very nice to meet you but please - you've got to help me go home."

"Stark..." Mary said. Her voice was steady and firm, but gentle. He was really dead...

"...I know I'm sorry I just... god, I left them alone.."

Tony sat down on the sofa and rested his head in his hands.

"You know, you did a really good job with him," Richard said quietly.

Tony looked up at the small family. "With mentoring Peter, I mean. He really needed someone like you in his life."

Yeah and now I'm gone, Tony wanted to snap.

"Yeah, well... You were the ones who raised him. You did a damn good job," Tony muttered. Mary laughed. "That luxury goes to May and Ben. They did most of the work."

"Yeah, yeah whatever you say," Ben chuckled. "...Tony, Peter becoming a superhero would've terrified me but with you there to guide him, he was doing good."

"I-...I'll be honest with you guys, I don't understand why you're telling me I did good here. I dragged that kid to an airport to fight some friend drama, then proceeded to tell him I'd be there for him, only to take the suit. I then take him under my wing and I could barely prevent him from getting injured every night. Then, he sneaks onto the donut ship and instead of taking him back, I take him with me to die and then as soon as he's back, he had to fight a goddamn war. He's 15 for Christ's sake!"

"Stark, you both made mistakes along the way, and that's perfectly ok. You're both stubborn geniuses. Besides, you saved our kid."

"But now he's alone. I understand May will be there for him but what about the superhero gig? What's he gonna do? He's just a kid and he had to listen to my fucking heartbeat until it stopped!"

Beep.

"Stark you couldn't control that... You saved everyone. You did great."

"Wait."

"What?"

"What's that?" Tony muttered.

"What's wha-"

"Shh."

Beep.

"That," he affirmed. "The beeping."

The three Parkers smiled at him.

"We can't hear it but I can take a guess." "What is it? Am I being moved to the actual afterlife or something?"

"You really wanted to go home, didn't you."

...Beep... beep... beep...

"Wha- of course I do. What's that got to do with the beeping-"

Suddenly, Tony's heart felt like it was exploding. It began beating rapidly, so much faster than it ever had before. He couldn't breath and his old wounds began to throb more with each second.

"What's... is it... is it really?"

"Yep.. you're going home Stark. What you're hearing is a heart monitor."

Breathlessly, Tony huffed out a laugh.

"It really was nice to finally meet you all. Peter loved you more than anything." "We know. And we can tell he loves you too. Goodbye Stark."

Tony breathed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Words- 856

Me posting yesterday's chapter today and knowing imma post today's chapter tmrw: