Nightmares

Spooktober. 4

*PETER'S POV*

It was finally Friday. Finally. It had been such a long week- I have no idea why. Maybe it was the fact that there were piles and piles of homework every night. Maybe it was the fact that Flash wouldn't leave me the hell alone. Maybe it was all the tests throughout my classes.

All I can say, is that I'm tired. I got a total of 6 hours of sleep this week. The bags under my eyes were heavy- they probably looked worse. Though, no one said anything so it couldn't be too bad.

I ran to the Avengers compound quickly, joy pulsing through my veins. I hadn't seen Tony or the others in a whole week and a half. Even if that's not much, it seemed like more. I had gotten used to coming over every few days for some lab time or training with Natasha, Bucky, and Clint or cooking with Steve.

I couldn't hold back my smile. Damn I don't remember the last time I was in a good mood. I've been so focused on school and Spider-Man...

The entrance came up and once I walked inside , I was greeted by FRIDAY. "Hello Mr. Parker." "Hey FRI. Just call me Peter." "Of course Peter. I have already notified the others that you have arrived." "Cool."

"PETE-" ok yep. They know. "ITS BEEN SO BORING HERE WITHOUT YOU!" "Jeez Clint calm down." "Fine. But we need to do the pranks we planned! It's been so long!" "It's been a week and a half," I deadpanned.

"Long enough." "Hey Tony." I smiled. "Hey kid. Want to head down to the lab?" "Yep!"

As expected, the night went like that. Lab. Training. Dinner. Movie. We ended up watching Sherlock Holmes and there was this whole thing where we realized he looked exactly like Tony.

"Holy shit Tones. Sherlock looks exactly like you! And you're both smart!" "No shit um... I'm not finishing that." "Conspiracy theory confirmed. Tony Stark is secretly Sherlock Holmes." "Sh. Don't tell anyone," he joked, holding a finger up to his lips.

I laughed. "Welp. I'm going to bed." "Peter? Going to bed early? Since when?" "It's 12:45 Bird Brain. It's not that early. Also, I'm so tired!" "Alright Pete. G' night." A chorus of 'good nights' went around he room. "Night."

It didn't take long for me to fall asleep. It put my probably bloodshot eyes as ease. Sadly, the nightmares came just as quickly.

I was back from the dusting but it wasn't just peace and reunion to what he came back to. I came back to war and complete violence and bloodshed. 'I don't want to fight right now!' I thought. 'I want to go home and see May, Ned MJ! I want everything to go back to normal!' I'd been in that soul stone for hours- apparently years on earth.

In the distance, I could see the giant purple nutsack known as Thanos. He was trying to get the gauntlet!

The whole team and more fought the mad titan until he finally got ahold of the stones. Tony jumped onto him but was thrown backwards into the ground.

"I am inevitable..."
Silence.

"And I..." A pain filled gasp sounded.
"Am... Ironman."

I ran over to Tony with his tears flowing freely down my cheeks. "Mr. Stark..." He'd laid down against some debris to rest. Tony looked up at me with glassy, dull eyes. That look would never leave my mind.

"We won Mr. Stark," I hiccuped. "You did it sir- you did it..." a choked back sob escaped my lips. "I'm sorry Tony!" Tony gave a small smile. "Good kid..."

I repeated the sentence. Over and over again. 'I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry' it's all that was on my mind. This was my fault. If I was good enough- if I just got off that stupid gauntlet when I had the chance- Tony would be ok!

"Kid?"

Goddamnit! His voice was still ringing in my head. Why did this have to happen to me?! To Tony?! We just got close-

"Peter. Wake up."

Couldn't I just wake up from this?! This living nightmare?!

With a shake, my eyes shot open. I had rasped breathing. I felt like I was on the verge of a panic attack. "Peter." I looked up to see Tony, his eyes soft and sympathetic. "Are you alright, kid?" Without hesitation, I hugged him. Tears pooled in my eyes. "I'm sorry." "Pete, what're you apologising for, huh?" He asked, rubbing my back.

My heart beat slowed a bit being in his presence. He was ok. It was just another nightmare.

"I'm sorry for-for everything! M' sorry I didn't get the gauntlet from Thanos when- when I had the chance! You wouldn't have to almost..." I choked on my words. "Al-almost..." "Peter stop. It's not your fault." He had seriousness written on his face.

"Did- did I wake you up?" "Nope. FRI did. Told me you were having a nightmare." I just hummed. "You want to go sit down in the living room? I can make a pretty mean hot chocolate," Tony said humorously. "Sure." Tony could see my troubled expression and put a hand on my shoulder. "Seriously kid. Nothing that has happened is your fault. You're doing everything right." "Thanks..." I mumbled.

Within a few minutes Tony and I were sitting on the couch with hot chocolate. "Holy shit this is good..." "Hey. Language kid. But I told you. I'm good at this stuff. Coffee, hot chocolate... Uh..." "Tea?" "Nope I suck at that. Pep can make tea." I laughed a bit.

"How much have you had nightmares?" I looked at him like a deer in headlights. "Huh?" "Do you have them a lot? Nightmares? Panic attacks?" "Uhm... Ye-Yeah. I do." He sighed sympathetically. I refused to make eye contact and see the look of disappointment that he was probably wearing when he pulled me into a side hug. It didn't take me long for the tension to leave my body and just relax.

We sat in a comfortable silence until I yawned. "Pete you should probably get some sleep." I just hummed again as drowsiness took over my body and I drifted back into sleep.

I slept soundly for the rest of the night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Words- 1060
I'm starting here bc it's the 4th yayyy first one. This is gonna be fuuuun :D