Umbrella- 21

"Dad?"

Tony glances up, becoming suspicious upon seeing his daughter's expectant grin.

He sees Peter, fidgeting with his phone but not truly paying attention to it. He can tell when he's enthralled in the device, when he's texting someone and can't even hear him calling his name to pass the screwdriver. Right now, he's looking up at Morgan every few seconds, as if-

"What're you two planning?"

Peter snaps his head up in alarm. His jaw drops and in a flustered sort of manner, he sputters out something of not having any idea what Tony means. Bull.

"We want to go to Burger King." "M, you weren't supposed to say we." "Why not?" "Because, he'll listen to you. You're the cute one-"

Tony raises his hands,
"ok, wait, what's this about?"

"I want Burger King," Morgan declares, whispering, "Was I right that time, Peter?"

He laughs, "You were great. Good job."

"Did we not get some already? Two days ago?"

"Yeah but we just really want it today."
Peter looks at Tony with the pleading eyes that he knows he'd always say yes to. "Please?"

"No."

His two kids shout at the same time, "What?!"

"No." "Why?"

"Look outside," Tony points out the window, finding this whole conversation amusing. It's pouring outside. There's no way he's driving in that.

"I already checked the weather it's supposed to blow over.

"That's a theory." "I'll give you ten bucks if it doesn't."

"Pete, I'm a millionaire." "Yeah but I'm not. That's how confident I am."

"Christ- ok. Ok if this thing blows over, I'll take you two to Burger king." Tony lays back on the couch and goes through his emails, expecting to sit there the rest of the day but by some sort of miracle that he missed, Morgan points out the few light grey clouds that remain in the sky and the sun peeking out behind it. His jaw almost drops at the drastic change.

"What the... it was pouring 5 minutes ago."

Peter holds a hand out. "Ten bucks."

The man rolls his eyes. "I'll pay you back in a burger and fries. Go grab your jackets."

It's a cool, quiet evening out. The trees around the cabin sway slowly and glistening, bright orange leaves drip from the previous rain. Tony twirls his keys around his finger, watching with adoration as his kids run over to his car. By the time he jumps into his side, Peter's already plugging his phone into the aux, as always.

Unlike the way he was all those years ago, he liked having a nice drive whenever he could. It was calming. Yes, Happy still drove him around if he needed to go longer distances but Tony became less adamant on being driven everywhere.

He pulls into a parking spot and helps Morgan out of her seat. She runs over to Peter to grab his hand as they crossed the street and he can't help but laugh as she practically drags him inside by his finger.

When they're finally sitting at a small table and their food is ordered, he catches her looking at the germ-infested play room with wide eyes.

"No."

"what? Why!?"

"It's gross. Do you know how many kids have crawled around in there?" He shivers with disgust and she just giggles at him. "Can I have a dessert then?" "What is with you kids and needing something in return when I say no?"

"Because it has to be fair," she says as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.

"Yeah Tony," Peter grins, humor glistening in his eyes, "It's gotta be fair."

He drops his head in his hands, refusing to let them see he's laughing. He's sure they can see it in his shaking shoulders though. "I feel like all you two do is gang up on me. Is this all planned?"

"Yep." "Yes! Can I get a dessert?"

"Wait until we get your food first. Then we'll think about a juice pop." "Two."

Tony raises an eyebrow. "One of them is for Peter!" "Ok, yes one of them can be for Pete."

She agrees to the terms and starts munching on her food, leaving the three of them in a comfortable silence.

Tony lets himself enjoy the moment with his kids. Peter was busy lately with school so moments like this were somewhat rare. He needs to have him over more, like the old days in the lab where he'd come every week. It may be hard with the distance but he's Tony Stark. He'll figure it out.

When they finish eating and cleaning up the mess on their table Tony stops in his tracks upon seeing what it was like outside. "C'mon lets go- Oh," he mutters. Shit. "It's- uh- really raining."

Peter's jaw drops. "Thor," he mutters under his breath, pinching his nose.

"Wait- you brought Point break into this?!"

"What?! No, I-... Yeah." He smiles sheepishly. "He owed me a favor. But now he's obviously gotten distracted by something."

Tony hums. "You got an umbrella hidden somewhere under your 5 jackets."

"I wish," he laughs. "My bad."

"Well then. I guess we're running to the car then."

Morgan perks up. "Can we race?"

"I don't see why not." In a split second he scoops up his daughter, yanks Peter's hoodie over his face, and makes a break for his car through the pouring rain.

Despite the freezing rain, his heart warms hearing both of them laughing at his antics.

"Tony you're such a cheater!" "You have superpowers, kid. You're just mad you're getting beat by an old man." "Yeah, whatever. At least you're not denying you're old anymore." "Say another word about my age and I lock you out of the car," he threatens, flicking a damp, curly strand of his hair when he finally catches up with him. Morgan's laughing hysterically in her car seat and Tony can't help but join her.

"I'm wet." "Astounding observation, Parker."

Absentmindedly, he cranks up the heat. He has to do this a lot with Peter's whole spider- thermoregulation problem. He can only assume the kid's freezing right now. He supposes he was right because he sinks into the wet seat. Tony glances in the rear-view mirror and sees that Morgan's half asleep already.

He takes a hand in puts it atop Peter's head.

He loves his kids.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Words-1064