Chapter 42

"Dad?" I whisper as i walk into the living room in the middle of the night... Chris was in bed sound asleep and i had woken up to pee and saw a little light being on in the living room... "Hey princess... Why are you not asleep..." He asked and i smiled... "Just needed the bathroom..." I say and he smiled but the smile didn't reach his eyes...

I sit down in front of him on the coffee table and take a deep breath... "Dad... What is going on... Why are you still up?" I ask him and he sighs... "Nothing princess... Nothing for you to be worried about..." He says and i take his hand... "Dad... Come on... Tell me. I am a big girl, i can take it... Please talk to me..." I say and he sighs again...

"I just miss your mother, princess... With all the big changes in your life i just wished she was here to see you... She would be so proud of you... And i miss my little girl sometimes..." He says and i smile a sad smile... "I am sorry dad i can make more time for you..." I whisper and he looks at me shocked and shakes his head violently... "No princess... I didn't mean it like that... I miss the little innocent girl you... The girl that giggled when i pulled pennies out of her ear or made squealed as i let her pretend to be an airplane... I just dont know where the time went... I just seem like yesterday that you were that little girl... Your mother would be able to handle this so much better..." He says letting out a big sigh...

"I didn't mean you have to spend more time with your old man... I get that you have your own life... It is the way it is supposed to be... You became such a strong and amazing young woman... You are going to be an amazing mother and i am so proud of you..." He says and i blush... I look at him and he seems so sad and lonely, and it breaks my heart. "Dad having my own life doesn't mean there is no room for you..." I whisper... "I still need you... I still need my dad. My baby needs his grandpa... To do all the things you did with me... To spoil him or her..." I whisper... "Even Chris needs you..." I say smiling...

"She is right you know..." We hear and look up to see Chris stand in the doorway and my dad clears his throat sitting up... "I am sorry i didn't mean to eavesdrop..." Chris says and walks over and stands beside me... "Our baby is going to need his grandpa... I need you to show me how to be a dad or at least some mental support... This is my first kid to and i have no clue what to do... It scares me..." Chris says and my dad sighs...

"I wasn't there enough when Elle was growing up..." He says and now i see tears in his eyes and i am in a bit of shock as i almost never see him cry... "Dad... You where... I understood you had to work a lot... with all the bills and all the medical debt from mom..." I say and he sighs tears now streaming down his face... "Dad... Please dont cry... You were and are an amazing dad..." I say and look at Chris as tears start to form in my eyes now to... I look at him with pleading eyes to please fix this as i dont know how...

Chris sits down next to me and takes my hand in his taking a deep breath... "What if we would buy you a house in Boston close to us..." Chris says and i look at him shocked but smile... Dad just looks shocked... "Or even better... We can have a little house build in the backyard... You can sell this place... We can even have the tree moved you planted for your wife..." He says taking a deep breath and my dad wants to say something, but Chris holds up his hand and i hold my breath as i expect dad to explode to someone shutting him up in his own home... But he doesn't... He just shuts his mouth again...

"Hear me out... Elle is worried about you... She would like to have you close and not working as much anymore... We didn't ask you to supervise the renovations for nothing... We want you to be able to not have to work and be the fun grandpa... That is why i insisted on paying you, so you dont have to worry about money... You can pay off your debts... I get that you dont want me to pay them for you... But the offer still stands... I want Elle happy and i know you want that to... I think it is time to retire... I dont mean sit in a rocking chair on the porch all day... Volunteer if you want to... Ma could always use some good set builders in the little theater she is running for the kids. I know you would like that... Do something that gives you joy and let us take care of you the way you have always taken care of Elle... Be there to see your grandbaby grow up and be able to spend time with him... I know that would make Elle happy... It would make me happy... And i know deep down it would make you happy... Family is important, and we want you to be part of ours... For you to have time for family dinners and outings..." Chris says taking a deep breath... I couldn't tear my eyes away from my dad, who listened to Chris his monologue trying to convince him to please let him help...