8

Engfa had no idea what hit her.

The fist that made contact with her face felt small, but it was powerful enough to send her tumbling down. The floorboards squeaked as her body hit the wooden porch floor with a loud thud. She rolled in pain; her hands clutching at her nose and groaning as she felt the sticky liquid which no doubt was blood trickling down.

She was still reeling at the force of the punch that caused her vision to blur and head to spin. As she opened her eyes, Engfa made out two figures towering her. She could hear them arguing. After a few seconds, she finally heard them clearly. Charlotte was trying to pacify Jennie and pulling her away by the arm but seeing that anger fueled Jennie, she doubted Charlotte could stop her.

Engfa should have anticipated it.

Engfa sat by the edge of her bed, her face on her hands. Charlotte was picking up the clothes that were strewn on the floor. Tensed silence permeated the room. It was strange how the atmosphere was so different than just a few minutes ago. But she uttered one word. No, one name, and as soon as it came out of Engfa's mouth, Charlotte was forced out of her lust-filled haze.

When their eyes met, Engfa saw the pair of hazel eyes filled with pain, surprise, and disbelief. There might also have been some anger there. She couldn't believe herself. She couldn't believe she called out that name, when she was kissing Charlotte.

She couldn't believe that she gave in and actually went that far with Charlotte.

She lasted so many years avoiding anything intimate with the designer, knowing that he'd just hurt her. She knew they were better off as friends. But today, that was exactly what she did. She let herself get carried away and took advantage of Charlotte's vulnerability.

She was the cause of her pain.

"Who's Lisa?" Charlotte's soft voice trembled. She coaxed her to admit which of the girls she dated was the Lisa she was referring to. She had a feeling that she already knew her.

Charlotte was holding back her tears. Their situation was embarrassing enough as it was; she had to at least try to preserve some of her dignity.

Engfa did not answer. She just turned her eyes away. She couldn't bear looking at those eyes anymore.

"Do you have feelings for Lisa?" It was clear who Charlotte was referring to. She did catch the glances Engfa stole from the writer, but she didn't think much of it. She honestly believed that it meant nothing.

Until Engfa called out Lisa's name.

Again, she did not respond. She figured it would be better not to. She didn't know what to say. She knew it was wrong to feel something for Lisa. But could anyone really blame her? It wasn't intentional. The ash blonde writer just made her feel things.

"Oh my god. She's married, Engfa. To our friend! She's Jennie's wife!" Charlotte was seething now.

Engfa jumped at the tone.

An angry Charlotte was a rare sight.

"Say something!" She threw Engfa's shirt at her.

However, the businesswoman decided to stay quiet. Less talk. Less mistake. Less pain.

Charlotte stared at her in disbelief. The tears she had been holding were streaming down her cheeks; her feelings, a mash of everything.