「Chapter 71」

"Jiyeong, don't let that piece of shit get you all upset like this." Minji peered into your tear-stained face while rubbing circles on your back. The two of you sat in your bedroom, talking about your current situation.

"'If the shoe fits'?! How could he say something like that? It was like he threw away all his feelings for me." You wiped away at another teardrop that slid down your cheek. "I told him the truth!"

"I know."

"But he wants to be an asswipe and not believe me? I've always been truthful to him." No words could come to mind to dictate how confused you were by the inner workings of his mind. "Just what has he thought about me this entire time?"

"Kim Taehyung is a blind little shit who doesn't realize the kind of girl he has in his life. We all know that you were telling the truth, but if Taehyung doesn't want to realize that, then that's on him. He's not worth you worrying nor wasting your tears over."

"If things hadn't gotten so far between us as it did, then I guess I could forget about him, but it's too late now. Right now, my feelings for him are..." your heart hurt thinking back to that Saturday night.

Minji slowly pulled away from you. "You're not saying what I think you're saying, are you?"

"I don't know," you shrugged. "But what I do know is that my heart doesn't want to let him go. Part of me still has hope that he'll come around soon, but another part of me is still unsure that he will. Either way, I'm in too deep."

"Jiyeong," Minji's eyes softened when she looked at the completely glum state of yours. What could she say to make her best friend feel better? Lift her spirits up from the dump that Taehyung placed her in. Nothing. At least not in this moment. So for the time being, Minji just wrapped her arms around your head and pulled you down onto her chest. For a few minutes longer, the two of you just sat in silence until someone's phone went off.

"Oh, that's me," Minji took up her phone from your bed and answered the incoming call from her mother. "Yes?....Right now? Mom, I'm kinda busy."

"If your mom needs you to go, then you can," you whispered.

Minji looked off from you. "Alright, I'm coming home right now. Okay, bye." After she hung up, Minji let go a huge sigh. "I can't wait to move out of my parents' house and be on my own like you." She picked up her bag from the floor.

You mustered up a chuckle at her words. "Thanks for comforting me, Minji. I don't know what kind of mess I'd be if you weren't with me."

Minji accepted your hug, but though she wanted to put her whole heart into it, it just couldn't happen. Not when half of her heart was weighed down by guilt itself. If there was a way out of betrayal without spilling her secrets, Minji would take it. But, there wasn't. "Will you be alright?"

"Yeah," you smiled weakly. "I'll be okay. But what about you? You look like you're starting to get some dark circles under your eyes?"

"Oh, I--I just haven't been sleeping as well since we took finals. It's a bit anxious having to wait for those results, y'know." That was only part of the truth. The possibility of being pregnant would keep anyone up at night.