A Glimpse of What May Be

Hello! It has been sooooo long since I last posted a one-shot here. It's insane. College-life is crazy...let me tell you. I haven't had much time to write. I have definitely been accumulating a bunch of one-shot ideas, but actually getting down to writing them is a whole other story. That is why I am so excited and happy to be posting another one-shot. This idea has been sitting with me for a while now and I'm glad that I get to share it all with you. It's a Hyunsung one and it is based off of the whole SKZ family roleplay and the 2000 movie Family Man. I'm a bit worried that it may come off a bit weird cause it's been a hot second since I've last written a one-shot, but hopefully this goes well and you all enjoy. So...yeah...let's go!

"I'm actually kinda tired..." Jisung admits, scratching the back of his head.

"Oh...okay," Hyunjin says, "That's fine. Rain check then. We can go to the arcade another day."

"We'll go with you, hyung," Jeongin pipes up, gesturing to himself and Felix.

"Thanks, Innie," Hyunjin murmurs, smiling slightly. The group has just finished practice for the day, earlier than they normally do. Their managers cut them some slack for once. Since the day had ended early, the boys were all giddy to do something fun for a change. As they exited the company building together, Hyunjin slid beside Jisung and asked him an innocent question with a blushing red face. A face that had shifted into an expression of hidden disappointment. Jisung, too in his own world, didn't even notice. "Have fun, guys," Jisung says before walking over to their van, which is parked right in front of the building. Chan and Changbin clamber inside after him, staring at him with disappointed expressions. "What?" Jisung asks, meeting their gaze, "What did I do?"

"The better question is what didn't you do..." Chan mutters under his breath.

"Huh?" Jisung says in a confused tone.

Changbin scoffs, "How dense are you, Han Jisung?"

"What are you talking about?" Jisung questions.

"Hyunjin," Changbin deadpans, "He just asked you on a date and you turned him down to take a cat nap."

Jisung's eyes widen and he shifts around in his seat awkwardly, "No...no...he just wanted to hang out as friends. It wasn't a...a...date or...or anything.

"You really are dense," Changbin huffs, "He was asking you out, you dumbass. This is like the fifth time already." Jisung purses his lips together and wrings his hands together anxiously. He doesn't know what to think of Hyunjin's question. One side of him wants to believe that it actually was a date and that his crush reciprocates his feelings. On the other hand, there's a part of him that can't help but deny the possibility that beautiful, lovely, and sweet Hwang Hyunjin would ever be interested in someone like him. Even if he was, the chances of them working out is slim, and Jisung doesn't think he could stand ruining the friendship he has with Hyunjin. He couldn't bear to lose Hyunjin entirely. Chan sighs, "It's not like you don't have a crush on him."

"And the feeling is mutual," Changbin continues, "We all have witnessed you two make goo goo eyes at each other for ages now."

Jisung shakes his head, "Even if Hyunjin was asking me out...it would never work."

"You are so annoying, Jisung," Changbin frowns, "You have the chance to have something great with Hyunjin, but you keep letting your own doubts in yourself hold you back. The only reason that you never will work is cause you won't build up the damn courage to say yes to him or even ask him out yourself." Jisung stiffens a bit at his hyung's words, knowing that there is a lot of truth to them. He just isn't willing to accept it. He lets out a breath before turning to face towards the window, ending the conversation by closing his eyes and trying to fall asleep. "Don't ignore me," Changbin hisses, "You know I'm right. You can't just let this slip through your fingers! Hyunjin isn't just going to wait around forever, Jisung. There's going to be a time where he can't pine for you anymore. And then you'll really hate yourself for not acting on your feelings earlier..."