Once There Was an Elf

Hello! I am back now that I finally have internet connection and can post the rest of these one-shots. This is my first ever Lord of the Rings themed one-shot. I am pretty excited to have finally wrote one of these. This is between Aragorn and Legolas. It's definitely an AU, so don't expect it to follow the books or the movies very well. Let's get into it!

Legolas peeks into his daughter's room as quietly as he can. His eyes widen when he sees Eirlin sitting up in bed. "Darling? Why are you still awake?" Legolas asks, making his way into the dark room.

Eirlin looks at her father with wide eyes, "Adar....I-I couldn't sleep."

"Why not, dear one?" Legolas says, taking a seat at the edge of her bed, "Did you have a nightmare?"

She shakes her head, "No, I just can't sleep."

"The forest is awake, is it not?" Legolas states. Eirlin nods and pulls the sheets closer to her. "Would you like me to tell you a story?" Legolas questions, "It may help you fall asleep." Eirlin eyes light up and she nods her head eagerly. Legolas smiles as her and gently pushes back some of her hair. He pats her pillow gently and Eirlin slowly lowers her head to rest on it. Legolas tugs gently on the blankets, ensuring that it covers the young elf. "What is the story about Adar?" Eirlin asks in a curious tone.

"It is about an elf and a dunedin," Legolas replies.

Eirlin frowns, "I thought there were no more dunedain...."

"There still are some," Legolas explains, "This is a story about one of them. Now hush, let me tell you my story." Eirlin closes her mouth and listens to her father attentively. Legolas spoke in a calm tone as he told the tale, "There was once an elf, a woodland elf. He was a very special elf, for he was the son of the King. As a son of royalty, he was given many obligations from a young age. It had shaped him into the person he was. He grew up under the overprotective gaze of his father, for his mother had been lost. The King refused to lose his son as well. The young elf was always curious, sometimes too much so. His curiosity led him into trouble multiple times. Yet, it also led him to new things. He met a young boy, a human, when he was visiting some other elves. The two, quite literally, ran into one another. The elf had been exploring the new place that his father had brought him to. The boy was trying to hide from his bothersome adoptive siblings. The two bonded almost instantly. They became fast friends. They spent almost every waking second with one another. The two kept in contact even after the elf returned home. The elf started to grow up and become a tad bit more rebellious. He was tired of the restrictions his father had put on him. He went as far as to run away. He ran to his friend, not knowing where else he could possibly go. He didn't worry about the fact that he may worry his father. He just ran. When he arrived at the home of his friend, he was welcomed with open arms. The boy, now a man, had changed as well. He had begun to carry burdens upon his shoulders. Nonetheless, the two remained as close to one another as the day they first met. Days started to turn into weeks. The elf had been away from home for a fair amount of time now. As time moved on, the relationship between the two began to grow. It was a surprise to the elf when his heart began to flutter whenever the man would talk. The elf tried to push away the newfound feeling, but it seemed to be to no avail. The longer he spent with the man the deeper he fell. He couldn't bring himself to avoid the man, so he had come accustomed to the throbbing feeling in his chest. He knew of the dangers of not acting upon his feelings. Especially, due to the fact that he was an elf. Still, fear of losing the man made him keep it all bottled up. The pain in his chest had begun to increase daily. Even more so, when the man would speak of a female elf. Rumors had been spreading that the two were in a relationship. The man had never said anything to deny or confirm the rumor. The elf could only assume it was true and it had pained him to do so. The elf knew that the feeling was becoming fatal to him. He had long given up on pushing away the feeling he had for the man. It was no use as the pain persisted no matter what he did. Soon enough, the elf had been away from home for a year. He had been in love with the man for a year. The man was still none the wiser to the elf's feelings. It remained that way even as the two got into their first argument. The man was many things, a dunedain, the hope of men, and undeniably stubborn. He had brought up to the elf the matter that he had been away from home for a considerable amount of time. He had mentioned the elf's worried father. He had suggested the elf return home. The elf disagreed and was upset to hear that his friend wished to send him away. The two argued until to the point where the man screamed at the elf. He told him to leave and how he wished that they had never became friends. The elf felt his heart cracking then. He fled the place that he had once sought refuge at. He ran back home and into the arms of his father. His father scolded him for being so brash with his decisions. The elf's father knew immediately that his son had given his heart to the man. He couldn't do anything except to comfort the young elf. Time passed and the elf's condition worsened. It was only got worse when the elf thought of the man. Eventually, the elf began to succumb to the pain. He was sentenced to bed rest as the pain made it impossible to do anything else. The elf had long ago accepted his fate. He knew that he wasn't going to make it and awaited his dark end."

"No!!! The elf can't die! That's not a happy ending!" Eirlin cries out. Legolas touches her head and gives her a fond look. "The story isn't over yet, darling. Let Adar finish, okay," Legolas says. Eirlin nods and looks at her father with an attentive gaze. Legolas continues to tell the story, "The elf's father wasn't in a good mood. He never considered losing his son, especially in this way. He felt like a terrible father and knew he had to do something. He reached out to the man, hoping to bring him to the elf's side. Luckily, the man answered his call and arrived as soon as he could. The elf was on his deathbed as the man burst into his quarters. The elf was overjoyed to see his friend and immediately apologized for the ridiculous fight they had. He would have hugged the man, but he was too weak to lift a finger. The man apologized as well and started to sob, seeing the condition his friend was in. The man, although clever, was rather oblivious as to who could have left the elf in his current state. He knew that what became of elves when they fell in love. He knew of what was wrong with his friend, but he had no idea why. The man pleaded with the elf to tell him who had led him to this state. The elf gave him a smile and told him in a quiet voice that it was him. The man was shocked to say the least. You see, the man had always felt something for the elf. He had never acted on it, believing that the elf just saw him as a friend. When he learned that the elf felt the same, he acted without any hesitation. He pressed his lips to the elf's own. In those few moments, life coursed its way through the elf's body. Through their love, the elf returned to his original state. The man and the elf knew of the dangers of a relationship between the two of them. Yet, they couldn't bring themselves to care. For the first time, they had one another. They knew they risks, but they couldn't bring themselves to let go. They already had an unbreakable bond, it was only strengthened with their love for each other. With the permission of their fathers, the man and the elf became more. They sealed their love for one another. They made the other their forever. The man and the elf, a love stronger and nothing like any other." Legolas looks down at his daughter and smiles as he sees that her eyes are closed. He carefully stands up and makes his way out of her room.

Voila! All done. I hope that you all liked this one-shot. I have a few more one-shots for you, even though Valentine's Day is over. Please comment, follow me, vote, and add this story to your library. I will see you all in our next one-shot.