Romantic Gesture

Hello. This is the third Valentine's Day one-shot, if I am correct. I hope you like it. We're diving back into the wonderful DC world with this one. Some WonderBat, which I've never really wrote a one-shot about. I hope you like this heartwarming little drabble.

Diana knocks on the front door to Wayne Manor. She was surprised to get a cryptic message from Bruce two hours ago. It was their one year anniversary. She was expecting for Bruce to pick her up from her apartment and take her to dinner. At least, that is what they planned on doing. Bruce changed his mind last minute and decided it would be best for Diana to come to the Manor first. She frowned, did Bruce have something else planned? No way, Bruce wasn't the type of person to do those types of things. Suddenly, the door is opened by none other than Alfred. Diana gives the butler a kind smile, "Thank you, Alfred. Do you know where Bruce is?"

Alfred returns the smile, "Hello, Miss Diana. Master Bruce is in the dining room." Diana nods her head and enters the Manor. Usually, the Manor is fairly simple. It's decorated in a simple fashion. It had a modern look, but still had a classical feel to it. The Manor that Diana just walked into is almost unrecognizable. There are white silk sheets draped all around the Manor. There is the soft sound of a piano and violin echoing throughout the home. Diana looks around in shock. Alfred closes the door and walks slowly towards the kitchen. "Alfred? What's going on?" Diana asks.

Alfred gives her a knowing look, "You shall see very soon, Miss Diana." Diana's eyebrows furrow in confusion. What exactly is going on here? She starts to walk down the hallway, towards the dining room. She gapes as she sees candles lined up on the floor, illuminating the usually dim hallway. She makes her way down the hallway. She spots pictures of her and Bruce dangling from string along the walls. She looks fondly at a Polaroid of the two of them on their first date. It had taken a considerable amount of time convincing Bruce to take that picture. It was clear as day that he was enjoying himself though. There was a small smile sprawled out on his face as Diana pressed her lips to Bruce's cheek. Diana smiles as she thinks of the memory. Bruce has never been one for affection, but Diana knows that he cares. She continues to walk towards the dining room. She passes by Bruce's study and glances through the glass doors with wide eyes. There are lights strung around the study and pillows piled on the floor. She can make out large bowls of popcorn and a projector in the back of the room. Diana frowns, what was all this? This is so....not Bruce. Diana shakes her head and keeps on going forward. Eventually, se arrives at the dining room. She is met by Bruce standing in front of a circular table. He is dressed in a suit with his hair combed back. "Diana," Bruce says with a smile, "Come, sit down. Dinner is just about to be served." Diana gives Bruce a look and walks towards the table. Bruce pulls out her seat and Diana sits down. He pushes her chair in before going to his own seat. Diana looks at Bruce and then at her surroundings. A nice tablecloth covers the table and there are rose petals scattered on the floor. In the center of the table is a single rose and a small candle that bathes the table in a warm light. Diana gives Bruce a confused look, "What is all of this?"

"It's your anniversary gift," Bruce says with a smile. Diana grimaces at Bruce's face, his expression looks so forced. Alfred takes that moment to walk into the room with two plates of pasta. "Thank you, Alfred. This looks delicious," Bruce says, picking up his fork. "Yes, it looks great, Alfred. Thank you," Diana states. She looks at Alfred with a questioning expression, hoping to get some answer to what is happening. Alfred bends down to whisper into her ear, "Maybe you can talk some sense into him. He's gone from himself to someone I do not recognize." Diana nods her head and Alfred makes his way back to the kitchen. "You should eat, Diana," Bruce says, "It is really good." Diana nods her head and picks up her fork. The two eat their food in silence. There's an air of awkwardness around the two that has never been there before. "You have something on your face," Bruce says. He takes his napkin and reaches across the table to wipe Diana's mouth. Diana tenses up and leans out of his reach. "Thank you," Diana states, taking the napkin from Bruce's hand. Bruce gives her a nervous smile and quickly retracts his hand. The two don't make eye contact and the uncomfortableness persists. Diana sighs after a few minutes, "Alright, this is getting unbearable. Bruce, what is all this? Don't say it's your anniversary gift to me. I know that it isn't."

"Do you not like it?" Bruce asks.

Diana frowns, "It's very nice, Bruce. It's all thought out and very romantic."

"Then why are you upset?" Bruce questions.

"I'm not upset. I'm just confused. This is all a very nice gesture, but it's not you," Diana says, "It's really showy and not your forte. Don't act like it is, I can see how uncomfortable you are. Whose idea was this?" Bruce opens his mouth to answer and then closes it. Diana looks at Bruce, waiting for him to explain. Bruce frowns and rubs his temples, "Dick. It was Dick's idea. He said that I should go all out for our anniversary. You deserve to be showered with affection after all."

Diana nods, "Why did you listen to him? You didn't have to do all of this. I know you don't like these types of things."

"I thought that you may have liked it. Dick says that I never show you how I feel about you. He said it may do me some good to do something really romantic. I wanted to give you something memorable. Dick suggested a romantic gesture of sorts. I thought that Dick may have been right, so I gave it a try. It didn't work because it's clear that you don't like it," Bruce states.

"I don't like the fact that you don't like it. You're so stiff and it's clear you hate all of this. I know very well how you feel about me Bruce. I don't need you to do something like this to prove that you love me. I may be a princess, but that doesn't mean I need fancy things or huge, extravagant dates. I'm perfectly fine with a little dinner or just a walk around the park," Diana says, "You don't need to change who you are. You don't need to change our normal. I like the way things are going between us, even though you don't give me a dozen kisses every day. I'm happy with simple. I'm happy with you not in this stiff suit."

Bruce nods his head at her words, "Does that mean I can get out of this thing?" Diana laughs and nods her head. Bruce lets out a sigh of relief and stands up, "I'm sorry about ruining our anniversary."

Diana shakes her head, "You didn't ruin it. The night is still young, Bruce. If you get changed quickly, we can still make it to our dinner reservation. That is unless you're tired."

Bruce scoffs, "I thrive at night."

Diana smiles, "You sure do. Now go. Get out of that ridiculous suit." Bruce gently kisses Diana on the cheek before rushing towards his room.

Fini! I hope that you liked this one-shot. It was a heartwarming little story. Please comment, follow me, vote, and add this story to your library. I have two more Valentine's Day one-shots to share with you. After those two, I think I'm going to take a little break from romance one-shots. I won't be gone long, but I won't be updating every week. We'll cross that road when we get there though. For now, I still have two more ships and two more one-shots. See you in the next one.