73

"Marchioness! Do you know what you are saying!? Do you know what consequences you will face for lying to the Emperor!?" The Emperor stood up and shouted.

"....." Evelina clenched her teeth and snapped, "Shut up...shut up...shut up!"

"....." Everyone present in the room felt like they were just hit by lightning. Did...did she really just shout at the Emperor...!?

However Evelina had no intention to stop. It was as if all the emotions she had been holding back, all the frustration she bottled up broke free.

"Ahahaha! I've been lying! You all are fools to have believed me so easily!" Evelina laughed like a madman. She knew that there was no escaping this. She knew that this is it for her.

"That woman...Lilith..." Evelina sneered and her expression became twisted. She paused for a second before continuing, "poor girl....no one believes her..."

"You see, she never really tried to murder me... it was all me...I planned everything! It was all my doing!" Evelina screamed without restraint.

"You...." Chase felt though his head was hit by a large hammer. Hearing the 'forbidden name' once again after years, Chase felt a strange sense of reminiscence in his heart.

Meanwhile the Emperor's eyes darkened and his expression turned ashen. Was what that woman said true? Was the young child he regarded as part of his own family truly innocent!?

The Emperor's eyes reddened and his face grew even more angry. His heart immediately dropped. He felt guilt, regret, sadness, and even frustration.

"Eve! Don't talk nonsense!" Chase didn't want to believe it. He didn't want to know if Evelina's words were the truth. He didn't want to bear with the burden of 'killing' someone who he had known for years.

"Nonsense? But it's all true! Oh Chase...you were so fixated on finding 'true love' that you completely ignored the girl who really and truly loved you..! You even played a part in her death! So, how does it feel?" Evelina's smile grew larger. It almost looked demonic and terrifying.

Looking at the 'real' Evelina, Chase's eyes widened in shock. This wasn't the girl he knew. This wasn't the girl he loved. The girl who was kind and loving. But perhaps she never actually cared about him. At this moment, he saw her for who she truly is...

Chase's expression darkened. Did Lilith truly love him? He always thought she merely liked and followed him for money and power. But it seems he has misjudged her.

Lilith wasn't the one who loved him for his power, and Evelina wasn't the one who truly loved and cared for him. It seems like he accidentally switched their roles in the past...

Lilith was the one who truly loved him, and Evelina was the true power-chaser.

"Enough!" The Emperor shouted. His face full of anger and rage as she ordered the guards to arrest Evelina.

"Guards seize this traitor! She has committed treason by lying to the people and the emperor!" At the Emperor's orders, the guards emerged from all directions and ran to capture the Marchioness, now dimmed traitor.

Without thinking twice, Evelina, who was in a kneeling position beside the plague victim, stood up and ran towards the exit.

Somehow, Evelina managed to get out of the throne room. She didn't know where she was going, she just wanted to run and if possible, escape.

"Catch her!"

Evelina looked back at her shoulders and saw that more guards came to catch her. Her face turned pale and she ran even faster.