126

"Why...? Brother, weren't you the one who promised me that you'll always be here for me and protect me!? What happened to that!?" The duchess was consumed with despair as she let the drops of tears stream down to her chin. She moved her hand and directly grabbed her brother's coat.

"Don't bring the past into this! We're both adults now, we're no longer children so get yourself together and stop acting like a child! With you like this, it's no wonder the duke looks for other women!" He slapped her hands away and scolded ruthlessly, not considering her feelings at all.

The duchess's heart shook and her legs trembled. Her face was still as pale as a corpse. She couldn't believe those words just came out of her blood related brother...

"You've changed, brother. You used to be so much nicer..." She looked up at him with eyes full of pleading and a longing for affection.

"When mother and father died, who do you think was the one they left to take care of everything? Me! And now our family's power is slowly draining away and I have debt piled up on my back! Now you want to divorce a duke!? Are you insane!?" The silver haired man restrained his tone from being too loud to avoid a commotion.

"..." The duchess felt that she couldn't even recognize him anymore... Is this really her doting and gentle brother?

The man sighed and massaged his forehead before speaking once again.

"Beatrice, you can't divorce the duke. You're our family's last hope." He tried to coax her but was met with a difficult question.

"So you only think of me as a string to connect our family to the duke?"

"..." He couldn't answer and his hesitance was clear to his tearful sister.

"You know... I never wanted to marry him in the first place! I only did it because you two forced me to! And now that he no longer has any interest in me, you blame me!? The one you forced to marry!?" She screamed, disregarding any fear of being heard by others. She just wanted to vent. Vent all the grievances she had endured all this time!

After finishing, she turned around and left in tears. Fortunately, she didn't discover Angelina's presence.

Angelina stared at the sight of the Duchess's departing lonely figure with pity. In her eyes, the duchess was a fragile young lady stuck in a woman's body. She would imitate how a duchess would act on the outside but as soon as you find a crack, she breaks.

Angelina sighed before leaving carefully.

"Miss, your back! Did you find a solution for tomorrow?" Angelina was greeted with Marie as soon as she opened the door to her room.

After a moment of silence, Angelina sneered, "I do have one idea..."

"Hm?" Marie tilted her head with curiosity lingering in her round innocent eyes.

"Tell the servants to prepare me a carriage. I will be paying the imperial palace a visit." Angelina passed Marie and strode towards her closet to take out a small but bejeweled chest. Once she had opened the chest, a ruby necklace was shown.

***************

"A carriage is approaching!" One of the gate guards announced to another guard who then walked to the side of the grand carriage and spoke with a loud tone, "State your purpose!"

A slender white hand pushed aside the curtains covering the windows and revealed a silver haired young lady with a piercing beauty.

"I'm here to see her highness, the princess." The young lady claimed with a gentle and friendly smile which showed no trace of hostility or spitefulness.