Chapter 151

Their shoulders brush past and he turns back only to see Lilith wrap her arm around Ariana's and hand her the handkerchief. He watched as Ariana grinned at Lilith, watched as Ariana took the hand that was previously wrapped around her arm and kissed the back of Lilith's palm with a smile against the fair skin.

Chase's mouth shut to a grim line and he merely stared at Lilith and Ariana as Rienne as well as Alice joined them and gave Ariana their handkerchiefs. Watching her laugh like that, paying no mind to him... It felt strange. Perhaps it was because in the past, during events like these, the receiver of her handmade delicately crafted handkerchiefs was him. It was always him. He should've had the foresight to see that the girl who always patiently followed his back is gone. Now, every glance over the shoulder feels hollow. All that remains is the faint echo of a laughter he would always recognize and the gentle footfalls he once detested. He missed it now, he yearned for that sincerity he so pathetically failed to notice. He knew he did, there was no denying it and it was selfish. But he could not help but indulge in these selfish thoughts and the vain hope that maybe someday, he would turn back and see her there, following him with that childish stubbornness he used to hate.

"Your grace...?" the girl called to him, her features displaying her confusion at his long silence. Goodness, he almost forgot she was there.

"Oh, my apologies... Thank you for your generosity." He accepted her handkerchief and smiled. She left giggling, but he stayed right where he was for a few more seconds before sighing and getting on his horse.

The event began soon after. The trumpets roared and the heavy hoofs of each steed beat the ground with thumps. The participants rode into the forest, leaving the echoes of cheering behind. Swarms of women waved their hands at the distant backs of the contesters, shouting praises and well wishes. Lilith looked away from the backs of the riders and spotted a little grumpy prince sitting with his hands crossed.

"My dear prince, why the pouting?" Lilith muffled a laugh behind her palm, and couldn't resist pinching those chubby cheeks.

"Big sis, it's not fair! What's the use of all these months of horseback riding if I'm not even allowed to join?" the second prince muttered, his little feet dangling off the edge of his seat.

"Didn't they say you are still too young, your highness? You've only been able to ride on a pony. How could they let you compete with a pony against the other lords riding on grown steeds? Not to mention they have had much more training with hunting on horseback than you. It's also dangerous, how could we let our favorite prince get hurt?"

"I can do it- Wait... I'm your favorite?" the young boy paused, eyes bright.

"Shh... don't tell your brother." with a finger to her lip and a sly wink, she whispers to him.

"Don't worry, I know how to keep secrets!" he smirks, giving her two thumbs up. His mood appears to have lightened up. "I'll catch you one of those pretty worms I saw earlier!"

"What an... honor." Lilith rubbed his cheek gently with her thumb, tickling him. He giggled and ran off to who knows where to reward Lilith with a precious worm. How generous indeed.

"My... What an admirable bond you two possess, your highness." a woman spoke to her nearby. Hearing that familiar tone, Lilith flinched. With a slight turn of the head, Lilith recognizes the woman immediately. She swiftly plastered a neutral smile on her face before facing the great Marchioness Bailey.

"Greetings your grace, I failed to see you there." Lilith takes her seat as she watches the older woman curtsy to her. The Marchioness takes pride in her etiquette and perfect cruises. They were so perfect, Lilith despised watching her perform them. Lilith recalled how harsh the marchioness's etiquette lessons were back in her first life. A wooden plank would hit the back of her legs each time the marchioness deemed Lilith's curtsy not low enough. How odd, that now the curtsy the marchioness had just performed barely bent her knees.It didn't take long for Lilith to assume the reason.