113

"We will be asking a few questions, your grace. Please answer them truthfully." The guard, who was sitting behind the table, asked calmly.

Alice nodded. Her hand kept trembling.

"Did anything happen before your brother went missing? Does he have any enemies? Does anyone from family have enemies that could be responsible for this?" The guard asked, his eyes were cold.

Alice was trying to hold back tears but it was extremely hard. She weakly stretched out her hand to take out the wooden box as she hesitantly opened her mouth.

"S-...something did happen shortly after my brother went missing. No one else was there with me! He... here." Alice nervously placed the box on the table.

The guard opened the box and saw the decapitated finger. He was shocked and immediately started asking questions.

Alice explains what happened that night with a shaken voice.

The guard narrowed his eyes and closely watched Alice's every movement and expression.

Alice knew. She knew he was slightly suspecting her.

"Carol? Do you know who she is?" The guard asked.

"Yes... I've seen her before that night. She was the Skyler family's eldest daughter, lady Evelina's 1st rank maid." Alice stated. She would spend the next two hours explaining everything and why she didn't report the finger. She needed the guard to believe her and not report her as a suspect.

Fortunately, after what felt like forever, Alice was finally able to convince the guard she was innocent.

As soon as Alice stepped into her carriage, she fell to her knees and cried with relief.

What Alice reported caused an uproar among the nobles. Many questions were created. Did Evelina order Carol to kidnap the little boy? Or did Carol do it on her own? Was Alice lying?

Some, unbelievably, were mad at Alice. They were all in disbelief and denial. How could their precious lady Evelina do such a thing?! In their eyes Evelina couldn't even hurt a fly! She was far too delicate and fragile to them.

Naturally the next to be questioned was the Skyler family. After all, Alice claimed it was one of their maids.

The duke was pulled into questioning and was found to be innocent. The duchess was questioned but it was clear to one that she was in no condition to harm anyone or involve herself. She was far too weak. So she too was ruled as innocent.

Next was their number 1 suspect, Evelina.

Angelina sat quietly in front of the interrogation room, waiting for her turn.

It has only been 30 minutes but Angelina already saw the door open. Evelina came out, eyes were swollen. She had clearly cried.

Angelina frowned when she saw the guards treat Evelina with such respect and care. She must've cried her way out....

Angelina was right. Evelina was able to manipulate the guard's pity and convince them she had nothing to do with what Carol did.

Evelina told them Carol must've kidnapped Oscar for ransom. She backed her claim with what happened during the Perdonley's recent event.

The theory that she reported to the guards was that Carol kidnapped Oscar for ransom because she wanted to run away with her lover. But due to being humiliated in such a way, she became mad and killed Oscar, dumped him in the lake, before finally ending her own life.

To the guards what Evelina claimed was possible. But there was no hard proof. But seeing Evelina's beautiful face distressed, her seductive eyes filled with tears, and her gentle voice quivering with fright, they couldn't help but feel sympathy.