129

She could never forget that moment, years ago, when her two children stared at her with resentment and hatred lingering in their eyes.

Their gazes were terrifying to her. The look in their eyes pierced her heart like an arrow and refused to leave her mind even after all these years.

Hate the duchess? Evelina? But they always appeared close. Angelina felt slightly conflicted.

"It was really my fault...! I couldn't help! I just stood by like a coward! I don't blame them for resenting me..." The duchess no longer could hold back the tears and they streamed down endlessly. She chocked with sobs and covered her mouth to muffle it.

"What, what happened, mother? Why do elder sister and brother hate you?" Angelina questioned as she furrowed her brows.

"...!" Beatrice flinched. She turned her head and looked at Angelina with shock. She looked as if she just realized what she said. She immediately wiped away her tears and answered, "No, no! Um, forget I said anything, Lina!"

"..."

The duchess didn't even wait for what Angelina wanted to say and left the balcony in a hurry.

Angelina stared at her panicked departing figure and sighed inwardly. She thought she had figured out the Skyler family, but it appears that she has underestimated the secrets of this family.

****************

Evelina slammed the door to her room open and shut it with a loud "bam!" Lia knew her master's mood was definetly not right and cold sweat had already formed on her forehead. She hesitantly walked to Evelina's side with her head down, acting obedient.

"M'lady, would you like this lowly one to get you something? Your complexion doesn't look well..." Lia spoke as softly as she could, daring not to evoke Evelina's rage.

"You get your rotted little brain working and help me change into another dress! After that, go and brew me some warm tea!" Evelina was shivering from the cold. Her gown was dripping wet and yet no one came to help her. It's all because of that Rienne!

"Y-yes right away, m'lady!" Lia immediately went to help Evelina change and shortly after returned to the room with newly brewed tea, in hope of deflating her lady's fiery anger.

"That witch Lilith and her friends, they're actually bold enough to treat me like this! And they got away with it! No, no, no I'm not gonna let this be! I have to do something! My clean reputation is actually being stained by them!" Evelina bit her lip till it bled. Her trembling fist was raised and she punched the wall as she cursed them ten thousand times in her heart.

Watching her like this, Lia felt like her legs had turned to noodles. Originally she thought serving Evelina would be easy, but she was far from right. The eldest miss is truly terrifying!

"M-my lady... Please calm yourself..." Before she could speak another word, she was interrupted with a low laugh that brought her to her knees.

"Hahaha.... Oh no, it appears that I have forgotten to give lady Rienne anything for her birthday... But It's never too late to give her a present right? I'm sure she'll love what I've prepared for her!" Evelina turned to Lia with a sinister sneer on her face.

*****************

The next morning, as soon as Angelina woke up, she turned her head and was met with the sight of Serina kneeling beside her quietly.

"What happened?" Angelina reluctantly sat up and yawned. As Serina reported what she had inquired, Angelina looked upon her lazily. She wasn't the least bit surprised.