148

The Evelina before him was completely different. Her long silky blonde locks were lost, replaced with dishevelled hair that had lost its charming glow. Her eyes had bags under it and looked very deprived of its past beauty. She was visibly thinner, she appeared as though even the slightest touch would shatter this withered flower. But the most shocking part was the bruise on her face that managed to reveal itself even though someone had tried to hide it under some powder. Her left wrist and forearm were covered with a bandage wrap. Did she get herself injured? How did this happen?

Rulias was startled when he laid eyes on her. He couldn't help but feel disappointed. He felt both concerned and annoyed. How could she meet with him to discuss their marriage in this state? 

"Thank you for coming here, I haven't had much time recently so let's not drag out this meeting for too long." Evelina sat down on the seat before him and pushed a few strands of her hair behind her ear. Her white sleeves only made her thin wrist even more thin and sickly.

"Eve, how come you look like this? Is everything alright?" Rulias felt slightly irritated by how cold she was acting but he knew he shouldn't lose his cool over such a trifle matter.

"That's not important, please let's talk about the wedding." Evelina dodged his question and took a cup of tea, avoiding his eyes from the start. "Where should we hold the wedding? His Majesty didn't set the place so I believe us and our families have the freedom to choose."

Rulias was completely stunned by her coldness. He couldn't believe she was speaking this way to him. He was simply voicing out his concern yet she was acting so rudely. What happened to the sweet girl he knew?

Rulias's expression turned gloomy. Evelina could only sigh. She was engaged to the top bachelor and son of a powerful noble once… Now she was only the fiancee of a viscountess's son. She really had fallen from grace. Eveline could barely endure such humiliation. All those previous friends of hers have now become the same ones that would point fingers at her and spout hurtful words.

After a dreadfully long silence, the two planned the wedding in an awkward manner. During the days after this meeting, Evelina and Rulias tried to find a place for the wedding however, all of the places they had chosen refused them service. This was another slap in the face for Evelina as those places were where most esteemed nobles usually chose to wed. One of those places was where she and Chase were wed in her first life. But now they didn't even want to open their doors for her. With frustration and great reluctance, Evelina had no choice but to cancle her plans and settle for a more humble wedding.

************

When Lilith heard of Evelina's choice, she simply smiled. Staring at the simple wedding invitation in her hand, Lilith hummed a tune in a good mood. This was definitely not the grand wedding Evelina hoped for, oh alas beggars can't be choosers.

"Is Evelina out of her mind? She dares to invite me? Haha! Well if she wants me to come so badly, I'll gladly go!" Rienne clenched the wedding invitation sent to her as she mocked loudly.

"She invited all of us…"Alice muttered in confusion. Why would Evelina want to invite them?

"Best not cause trouble, Rienne." Arianna sipped her tea before advising.

"Huh? Why? Evelina is practically begging for me to ruin her wedding! Hehe." Rienne laughed once again.

"Exactly." Arianna said.

"Wait, huh? I don't get it? What do you mean exactly?" Rienne tilted her head.

"What Arianna means is that you shouldn't cause trouble because Evelina wants you to do so. If you cause a massive stir in her wedding, she could plan a narrative where you are the evil perpetrator, which would take public attention away from her temporarily and instead to you." Lilith explained.