96

"Your highness, where are we going?" Angelina asked the young man sitting in front of her. But to her puzzlement, he didn't answer her. She was confused and could only stare blankly at him. Was he giving her the silent treatment? But what did she do wrong...?

A few minutes pass and Charles's expression seem to darken with each passing second. He turned his head away and stared out the window, looking like a grumpy child.

"......" at that moment, Angelina stared out into space and wondered what she did to get herself here. Then she came to a realization.

"Charles, where are we going?" Angelina smirked teasingly at the young Emperor who seemed to be throwing a silent tantrum.

After the words left her mouth, Charles flinched and his lips couldn't help but curve upward into a faint smile. He immediately pushed his smile down and kept a straight expression. But Angelina could see he was happier as his ears were flushed.

"Charles...?" Angelina called out to him while dragging her voice.

"...we're going to the mansion I'm temporarily staying at of course. " Charles could no longer bear to ignore her and answered.

"But why?" Angelina asked as she still kept a pleasing expression. But her poker face instantly collapsed when she heard his next words.

"Lily doesn't want to spend time with me?" he said while putting on a pitiful expression. As if trying to gain pity.

"U-um... that's not it...." Angelina found it strange how she is always unable to win in a battle of words against Charles.

Why does is seem like she's losing braincells when she's around him?

When the two finally arrived, they were greeted with the sight of lines of servants waiting for them.

A servant opened the carriage door and Charles stepped out first before helping Angelina out.

"Welcome back your highness and your grace!" The servants bowed and greeted respectfully.

"Your highness." Charles's aide, Aaron approached them and politely nodded at Angelina. He led the two to the study and left. He knew he would only anger his master if he continued to stay.

When Angelina arrived at the study, the first thing that caught her attention was a the paintings. There were a few from the shop but the one that stood out was one of a familiar lady.

It was her but seemed off.

Following her line of sight, Charles looked at the painting as well. He averted her gaze before explaining to her.

He always wanted a painting of her. But he never saw her appearance when Lilith grew as a woman. So all he could do was describe her appearance from memory. But that he hadn't seen her in years. So in the end it was slightly off.

"....oh" Angelina mindlessly nodded.

Charles glanced at her and stared in a daze. He did see Lilith when she grew up. But her current state was horrifying.

He could barely tell it was her. She looked haggard and terrifying as her face melted off.

He couldn't bare to see her like that, and yet he couldn't look away.

In his past life, he dreamed of seeing her again. Seeing how beautiful she was as a woman. But that blissful dream was destroyed instantly when he saw her burning.

He could never forget that scene he so dreaded.

The two sat down and chatted over tea. It was an easy conversation. Charles would even occasionally talk about their past. Angelina was naturally intrigued.