84

Angelina's light footsteps echoed through the hall, as she calmly headed towards the drawing room.

She slowly opened the door. Inside, Chase was already waiting for her.

"Good morning...young master..." Angelina bowed her head.

"It's nice to see that your condition has improved, lady Angelina" Chase stood up and greeted her with a smile.

"Why have you come here? Is something the matter?" Angelina sat down on the opposite seat. She extended her hand and picked up a teacup on the table in front of her.

"This one is merely concerned of m'lady's well being, and decided to visit." Chase sat back down and watched as Angelina sipped her tea gracefully.

He furrowed his brows before recovering his warm expression.

Angelina put down her teacup and gazed at the handsome young man in front of her.

She couldn't help but feel something was wrong. The atmosphere was tense, even though nothing was happening.

"Is that so...then we should invite my elder sister here as well. I'm sure you'd like to see her." Angelina chuckled.

"Ah yes...however I won't be here for too long. This one just has something to inform and give lady Angelina."

"Oh?" Angelina became curious. She blinked her golden eyes a few times, before paying attention to Chase's words.

"Back in lady's debut ball. I have only given you a gift for your debut, not your birthday. So this one has gotten m'lady something"

"Oh no that's alright..." Angelina's gaze swept over to a medium sized box beside the sofa Chase was sitting on.

It seemed she couldn't reject his offer.

Chase smiled as he gifted her the box. Angelina accepted it with both hands and thanked him.

"Thank you, young master. Though you really didn't need to do this..." Angelina thanked him, but in the inside, she was slightly mocking herself.

After all these years she spent with him, this was the first time she received a gift from him, that she did not beg for him to give her.

"......" Angelina stared at the box on her lap with a blank expression. Then she heard Chase say,

"Why don't you open it?"

"Here...?" Angelina didn't feel comfortable. It was viewed to be rude if you opened a gift in front of the person who gave it to you.

She declined, but Chase insisted.

After admitting defeat, she began to open the rapped box. She untied the decorative ribbon, and slowly peeled away the wrapping.

A wooden box was revealed. She carefully opened the lid of the wooden box and found a doll.

Her heart dropped and sight turned fuzzy. She felt her body ache and heart tremble.

She wouldn't have acted like this to a normal doll. But this doll...

It had long black hair and a pair of small emeralds as eyes. It also wore a dark green dress.

But what was more strange was that...the doll looked exactly like Lilith in her debut ball.

She still remembered her last life's debut. Her hair was let loose and she wore a dark green dress, that showed off her emerald green eyes.

It was as if a clash of thunder hit her. She looked up at Chase with bewilderment.

Did this have a meaning? Or was it just a coincidence...?

"Does lady Angelina like the gift?" Chase asked. His smile, still gentle and warm as ever.

Angelina's face turned ashen. But she still nodded.

'Could it be that...he too.. remembers? Or what..'

She gently rubbed the doll's emerald eyes with her thumb, while reminiscing an old memory.
- - - - - - - - - -

Two short figures walked along side each other. One a little girl with long black hair, the other was young boy with golden hair.

They walked together as servants accompanied them from behind.

The little girl's eyes shined with excitement. She kept looking around. Staring at the displays through the shop windows.

But something caught her attention.

Behind a shop window, a pretty doll was on display.

"Woah..!" The little girl gasped and turned to the young boy beside her.

"Young master Chase! This doll looks exactly like me!" She stated. Her eyes remained fixed on the doll.

The little boy turned to look at the doll on display as well.

"Your right. It truly does resemble Lilith" He agreed and patted her on the head, gently.

"....!" The young girl's cheeks turned rosy. She turned to the young boy again, tugged at his sleeve, and asked.

"Uhmm...my birthday is coming up... How about young master Chase buys this for me? B-but... it's alright for the young master disagrees!"

The boy's brows twitched. He looked at the girl for a moment, before he smiled and nodded.

"I'll be sure to give Lilith this doll for her birthday."

"Wahh...! Thank you, young master!" The little leaped into the boy's arms and hugged his waist.

"....." The boy silently wrapped his arms around her and embraced her as he lightly patted her back.

***************
Lilith sat on her knees and admired the white roses. She sighed with delight, as she eagerly waited for her someone.

Then she was tapped on the shoulder. She pulled her head to look pass her shoulders, and saw him.

"Is this...?" Lilith stared at gift in the young boy's hands, pleasantly surprised.

"Happy birthday, Lilith" Chase smiled as he gave her the doll.

"Thank you do much, young master Chase!" The young girl stood up to face him and accepted the doll.

She was so happy, she didn't notice the little boy watching them from behind the bushes, holding a small handmade doll.

She pressed the doll close to her chest and hugged it. She gazed into the pair of emeralds, the doll had as eyes. She rubbed it with her thumb and smiled.

From that day on, she always carried the doll with her everywhere.

It would be in her arms as she strolled the garden. It would be there when she attended classes. It would by her side when she ate her meals. And it would be there as she slept.

The doll became her prized possession.

- - - - - - - - - -
"....." She felt a sense of deja vu as she stared into the doll's shimmering eyes.

"Lady Angelina...?" She heard him say.

Angelina's straight face cracked slightly, and broke into an expression full of despair.

She didn't exactly know how she felt. It was a mix of multiple emotions. Sadness, anger, hatred, and longing.

The she felt something on her head, rubbing it gently.

She looked up from the doll and was met with his complex gaze. He was patting her head. Just like he used to.

"I'm sorry"

Her body stiffened as she heard those words.

"What..?" Angelina could only manage to squeeze out that word from her mouth.

"I'm so sorry. For everything." He smiled. But the smile wasn't just warm and polite. It was filled with sadness, regret.