139

She turned around and claps filled the room. At that moment, she stood there as all eyes were on her. But she didn't cower and instead embraced it with a gorgeous smile that could bewitch all. Her piercing beauty could even put the mightiest of kingdoms and empires crumble at the sight.

That day, that afternoon, that very second, a princess was crowned.

Evelina's eyes didn't move away from her, not even for a second. She couldn't retract her gaze no matter how much she tried. There was something so irritatingly eye-catching about the smile on Lilith's face. It caused an itch in her heart. It seemed as if that smile was some sort of statement for her. Envy rushed to her heart and the taste of bitterness was in her mouth. This isn't fair! This isn't fair at all! She had worked so hard! There wasn't a second in her life that she wasn't planning for her next step! She deserves this more than anyone else! How could it be...

Soon, everyone returned to the ballroom to celebrate the honor of their new princess. All wore smiles and let out cheery laughs. Only a few wore ashen faces and isolated themselves from the lively festivities. Lilith intended to go over to the royal family's side to speak with them but before she could, she was unexpectedly attacked by a fierce hug!

"Congratulations Lina- I mean... Lilith!" Alice hugged her friend from behind and uttered closely to Lilith's ears.

"Tha-thank you, Allie. Now, please let go..." Lilith pleaded as she felt her waist being squeezed to death. Already wearing a corset and being hugged so tightly, Lilith felt her waist was about to break! How could such a delicate looking young maiden such as Alice possess so much strength and give such suffocating hugs? It really is always the ones you never suspect...

"Hey! If it isn't our princess Lilith! You better not forget about us now that you have ascended to the seat of a princess!" Rienne laughed wholeheartedly before slapping Lilith's back without a care.

...

Lilith really didn't expect to face such disrespect so soon after being crowned.

"Lady Rienne, Lady Alice, I don't think this is appropriate. Perhaps a polite greeting first?" Arianna sighed. She too is happy for Lilith, but a proper noble lady must restrain herself from such impulsive behavior. Like slapping a newly crowned princess on her back...

"Don't be such a bore, lady Arianna! We're all friends here!" Rienne laughed once again and slapped Arianna's back as well.

"..." Arianna rolled her eyes. This lady Rienne is too careless with her actions...

"So Lina, do I still call you Lina or Lilith?" Alice tilted her head, her arms locking around Lilith's arm.

"You may call me Lilith, Allie. But it's best if you address me appropriately when we're around others." Lilith breathed a sigh of relief once Alice let go of her waist.

"Lilith... What a pretty name! How about Lily for short?" Alice suggested, but there was no point in changing her mind even if anyone were to disagree. She had already decided to refer to Lilith by that.

"Sure..." For some odd reason, Lilith thought about a certain gentleman who wouldn't be so happy with Alice's decision. It only took her a second to shrug off the thought.

She intended to chat with some of her other friends and acquaintances. Acquaintances, by that she meant her fellow Evelina despisers, who were currently poking 'fun' at the unfortunate Evelina. The poor lady was helpless and could only stand quietly whilst being surrounded by them. Those ladies threw insults after insults towards Evelina ruthlessly. Even if Evelina didn't keep quiet and chose to defend herself in any way, it would be useless. She was completely outnumbered without her loyal followers here to back her up. Not even Sonia, who used to be one of her most dedicated supporters, were here.