83

The banquet's previous peaceful and harmonious atmosphere disappeared in an Instant. How could anyone feel calm at this situation? It was obvious what was gonna happen next, wouldn't be so joyful.

"Your majesty! This is a big misunderstanding! It was her that..." Rulias was about to say that Angelina was the one who started it, but when he thought about his upcoming words, he knew no one would believe him.

"Are you saying lady Angelina purposely choked and injured herself...?" The Empress spoke. She was annoyed at the sudden trouble. She was looking forward to the banquet, now it's completely ruined!

"No that's not what I'm saying!" He clenched his hand and pleaded with the Empress.

"Hm...I never knew he was such a person..."

"Truly disgraceful..."

"The Aurabella family is ruined just because of him"

"He's not worthy of lady Evelina's kindness! Lady Evelina should never get near him ever again!" One of the ladies close to Evelina advised her.

"....." Evelina did nothing but stay silent. But she did spare some effort to seem shocked and concerned.

"How could he do such a thing to lady Angelina!? How despicable!"

Rulias's forehead was covered with a thing layer of cold sweat. He kneeled as he heard the nobles surrounding him, curse him, humiliate him, and shame him.

He couldn't help but turn to the protected Angelina and glare at her.

He was the one who was almost drowned! How did she turn into the victim!?

"So? What do you have to say?" The Emperor questioned.

"Your majesty! Just look at me! I'm completely soaked! It's all because of her! She pushed me into the lake!"

"Then how did lady Angelina's injuries appear?" The Emperor furrowed his brows.

"I....I'm not sure...it just appeared...and-"

"Nonsense! How could a choking mark appear out of nowhere!? Are you trying to slander my daughter!?" The duke, seeing where things were going, decided to finally speak.

Angelina was currently being held in the arms of the duchess. When she heard the duke angrily shout at Rulias, she casted him a glance and sneered in her heart.

This was a show of fatherly love and protectiveness. But she knew it was all an act.

He wasn't doing this because he cared for her. He was doing this to build up his reputation as a caring father.

'what a heartless and greedy man you are, duke. It seems the only thing that you value is money, power, and reputation...'

Rulias was truly afraid now. It was clear no one was taking his side. Even the few family members of his, who were in the crowd, didn't speak for him.

He turned to a certain direction and called, "Lady Evelina!"

"....!" Evelina didn't expect Rulias to come to her. She stared in shock as Rulias was kneeling in front her, pulling her gown. As if clinging to his last chance.

"M'lady! You believe me right?"

"......" Evelina contemplated on what to do. She couldn't defend him. But she also couldn't outright blame him either. She refused on offending both sides.

"Forgive me, sir Rulias. But...I can't help you. I hold my sister very close to my heart, and for you to hurt her...I" Evelina's eyes began to tear up.