12

After that day, the duke left for a trip to the town of Selvian. The town of Selvian is quite close the the borders of the Sainthallian Empire so it will take a long time to go there and get back. The duke said he'll be back in 2 moths if everything goes well.

Since the duke was gone Angelina was quite happy. She no longer wanted to see his face. Everytime she bumped into him in the corridor, she would feel disgusted. However Angelina needed to gain the Duke's favor if she wants to stay in the Skyler household. She always had a feeling that the duke would chase her out one day.

On the day the duke was leaving for Selvian, Evelina was sad to see her father leave. She cried in the duke's arms and wished him save travels.

Evelina soon cheered up though when the duke told her that her brother will be coming home soon.

Her brother, Alex Skyler has been in the capital to meet a viscountess. He's been in the capital for a while, but now he's finally coming home.

Angelina was also upset seeing the duke leave. She looked quite teary and worried. But it was just an act. She was laughing inside and couldn't wait for the duke to leave.

After they all said goodbye, the duke finally left.

Angelina was in the flower garden. Today the gardeners weren't here, since they were having a day off. So Angelina felt quite at peace.

In the past she preferred to be surrounded by "friends" all day and chat with them. But now she felt better alone, she didn't know why though.

The sky was sunny and the scent of flowers filled the air. And some rose petals were carried off by the wind, creating a beautiful scenery.

Angelina let out a big sigh. It felt so nice to be alone. No one was watching, and it felt like a big rock was lifted off her shoulders.

Angelina was just walking in the garden gathering her thoughts and enjoying the peaceful silence. She was alone since Marie left to go shops and take a day off. Marie has been working a lot these days. Angelina thought Marie was too hardworking, but the truth is that the head maid started to assign Marie with many task. Even though her main task is to accompany and serve Angelina.

Angelina was just wandering around the garden when suddenly someone was running and accidentally bumped into her. They were wearing a black cloak stained with blood and they were also covered in the stench of blood.

Angelina was shocked when she saw the person's identity. It was Evelina's personal maid!

Carol, Evelina's personal maid immediately ran away after Angelina identified her.

After carol was far gone and out of Angelina's sight, Angelina ran back to her room immediately. She was still stunned. She couldn't move and many questions ran through her head. Like, what just happened!? Why was she covered in blood!? Did she murder someone!? If she did..who was murdered..!? Why did she do that!?

*****
Angelina was still in shocked but she tried to calm herself.

But then suddenly a maid knocked on her bedroom door.

"Um...my lady...uh..are you alright..?"
This maid was walking in the hallway towards Angelina's room, when she saw Angelina running past her in a hurry.

"Ah..I..I'm alright!...is there anything else..?"

"Um my lady...her grace, the duchess has invited my lady and lady Evelina for tea in her grace's study"

"Alright I'll be there.." Angelina said while letting out a big sigh.

*****
After a while Angelina was outside of the Duchess's study.

Two maids were waiting for her, and as soon as she arrived, one of the maid's knocked on the door and informed the duchess that Angelina had arrived.

"Your grace, lady Angelina has arrived!" The maid said.

"Let her in!" The duchess replied from inside her study.

The maids then opened the doors for Angelina.

The duchess was sitting on a couch near her desk and sitting opposite her was Evelina. Angelina approached them and sat down beside Evelina.

"Haha lina you seem to get more and more beautiful!" The Duchess said with a big smile on her face

"Thank you mother! But I'm not as beautiful as you!" Angelina was being modest but it was true the Duchess was extremely beautiful. The duchess was still young, she was only in her thirties.

"Aww... there's no need to be modest dear...the daughter will always be prettier than the mother...even when you sat down you were elegant!" The duchess said proudly.

It seems that only the duchess really cares about Angelina.

The duchess is a very gentle, kind, and hardworking person. She was a candidate for the crown Princess's title when she was younger. But she declined and got married with duke Skyler.

Angelina was quite confused on why she would marry the duke, who is selfish and arrogant. But it is said the duke wasn't always like that. When he was younger he was quite attractive, intelligent and very generous. But some also say that it was all a front he put up in front of the nobles. But on the inside he's calculative, selfish, and cruel.

There was actually an untold story between the duke and duchess.

The duchess was kind and beautiful and doesn't usually attend events unless she has to. The duke fell in love with her beauty and kindness. But the duchess, Beatrice fell in love with a knight. Beatrice was the daughter of the deceased Marquess. Her brother was the heir, so he did his part by becoming the new Marquess. So she had to do her part in marrying a powerful noble family.

Her family members were very displeased when they found out that she fell in love with a knight. So when duke Skyler asked for her hand in marriage, they immediately excepted without hesitation. Beatrice was horrified that her family sold her off without a second thought. She wanted to run away with the knight, but they were caught and the knight was killed. She was devastated and gave up. So she got married with the duke and gave birth to the duke's heir, Alex, then Evelina. The duke spoiled and doted on his two children very much. But when Angelina was born, her body was extremely weak and she wasn't in good health. The doctor told them that there was little chance that Angelina could live past the age of 5.

The Duchess, Beatrice was extremely horrified and afraid. She begged the duke to give Angelina treatment, because the duke had already given up on Angelina. But in the end the duke agreed and sent Angelina to the Vancelia Empire to receive treatment.

Note: I changed the "Vandeline Empire" to the "Vancelia Empire"

Beatrice had sympathy for Angelina. Because when she was younger she also would fall ill many times. So now since Angelina has recovered and has returned home, she was extremely happy. Although she didn't love the duke, she loved all her children very much.

"Oh Eve!" The duchess said to Evelina.

"Yes mother?" Evelina replied

"I think it's about time you get engaged!..but I won't force you if you don't want too!... There's no rush! um is there anyone you like Eve?" The duchess wouldn't force any of her children to marry some noble if they didn't want to. Since she was forced to get married, she knows how horrible it is to be forced into doing something, so she didn't want her children to feel the same thing.

"..um...no..I haven't met anyone I liked mother"

'well of course not...you haven't met that bastard Chase Casspan..' Angelina said sarcastically in her heart while sipping tea.

"Well take your time dear...I only want you all to be happy.." the duchess said with sincerity

Angelina felt touched by the duchess's words. She never felt the love of her mother so she loved spending time with the duchess.

"mother......are you happy..?"