112

"When... When?" Angelina asked, her voice was slightly shaky.

"The day before I sent you that letter... They told me if I don't, she'll send another finger..." Alice answered as she let a tear fall.

"Do you have proof it was Evelina?" Angelina quickly closed the wooden box. She didn't want to see that finger anymore.

"No..." Alice's voice cracked. "It was just me. No one else saw. I was asleep when that maid threw this box on my face and woke me up. Then she told me... You know. I didn't dare tell anyone..."

Angelina knew how painful Alice's heart felt right now. She and little Oscar were extremely close. Everyone else in the family were too busy so most of the time it was just the two of them.

"I don't know what to do! If I tell my parents they'll either not believe me... Or they do and something might happen to my little brother!" Alice dropped the wooden box and fell to her knees, crying with no restraint. "He must be so scared! He's never been alone... He must be waiting for his family to save him and yet I'm doing nothing but act like a complete coward!"

"Shh Ally... I'm sure everything will be okay... We'll find a way..." Angelina was not used to comforting people so she doesn't know if her words were working or not.

"I know you have good intentions Lina. But... You don't understand. He always depends on me. He trusted me. I still remember when he would say if he was in danger, I would always save him. Hah... He must be so disappointed that his ' great elder sister ' is such a coward..." Alice smiled self deprecatingly.

"No Alice... Your a great person. Not everyone has the bravery to just act like hero." Angelina tried her best to calm Alice.

"It's just.. I know I should be doing something about this. I would always imagine what I would do in my head but when it comes to actually doing it... I get scared. Then I end up just not doing anything..." Alice wiped her tears and got up with little difficulty.

"We'll find a way Ally. For now let's go eat lunch with your family. I think I heard someone call us from outside earlier." Angelina held Alice's trembling hand.

"Mhm." Alice smiled.

**************
"It's truly a joy to have you join us for lunch lady Angelina. How's the food?" Viscountess Illiya asked Angelina.

"The food's delicious your grace." Angelina nodded politely as she cut her piece of braised pork.

"Oh right, I have forgot to introduce my son. Lady Angelina this is my eldest son Austin." Viscountess Illiya gestured for Austin to introduce himself.

"It's a pleasure to meet you my lady. I have never seen such a beautiful woman such as yourself." Austin stood up and bowed before Angelina.

Seeing her brother say words of praise, Alice felt uncomfortable. She has never seen this side of her brother before. Actually... She barely even sees her brother!

"Oh thank you." Angelina responded with a smile.

They ate for a few more minutes in peace before a servant rushed inside in a panicked state.

"You! How dare you intrude!" The viscount screamed at the servant and looked at Angelina with embarrassment.

"But your grace... There... We found something...!" The servant nervously reported.

"What do you mean?" The viscount furrowed his brows.

"I... I think it's better for your grace to see yourself...."

***************

With a scared expression, the male servant led them all outside, into the mansion's garden and showed them the wet body of a little boy.