75

Angelina stared at him, slightly dumbfounded. She had never seen this side of him before. Even though she spent years with him.

"Mhm" Angelina nodded.

"You...." Chase seemed to have something to say. But in the end he swallowed back his words.

"Sometimes...I wish I wasn't a noble."

"..!" Angelina stiffened due to his sudden words.

Seeing her stunned expression, Chase smiled. Then he shrugged off his previous words and offered to walk her back inside.

"We should get back inside. It will cause trouble if someone starts a rumor. I'll walk you back, lady Angelina." Chase's tone remained gentle and relaxing.

"Thank you, young master" Angelina politely nodded and followed him inside.

**********************
When she returned to the banquet, it seemed like the previous commotion didn't happen.

The only difference was that Rienne looked even more cheery and happy than before. She was even laughing out loud and not caring for her image at all.

"Lina! Come here! This cake is delicious!" Rienne called out to her while waving her hands in the air.

Angelina was shocked. She didn't expect Rienne to call her by her nickname. But she smiled and approached her group of friends.

As soon as she arrived, Rienne shoved a spoonful of a piece of strawberry shortcake.

"???" Angelina was immediately shocked and confused. After a second of pure shock, Angelina bit down on the cake and chewed it.

"Isn't it delicious?" Rienne completely ignored the fact that many were watching her.

"Lady Rienne...when have you and Lina been so close.." Alice pouted. She felt a sour sensation in her heart. She was slightly jealous that Rienne started calling Angelina by her nickname as well.

"We were always close" Rienne smiled as she continued to spoon-feed the dumbfounded Angelina. Showing off their close friendship.

".....hmph!" Alice glared at Rienne. She pouted even more and cut a piece of cake for Angelina as well.

"Lina~ you'll eat my piece right?" Alice blinked a few times and stared at Angelina with pleading eyes.

"...!????" Angelina became even more confused.

'what in the world is happening...!?'

Unable to resist Alice's puppy dog eyes, Angelina took in Alice's piece of cake in her mouth too.

"See lady Rienne~ Lina ate my slice too!" Alice proudly said.

"Hmph! She ate mine first!" The prideful Rienne would never back down.

"Lily, would you like my cake?" A charming voice echoed in her ears. Angelina turned her head and was faced with Charles's handsome and irresistible face.

Only now did she realize that everyone was looking at their direction. It seems she was too distracted with Rienne and Alice's little competition, that she didn't notice everyone's piercing stares.

"U-um...your majesty...?" Angelina's gaze fell on the piece of cake laid on the little plate Charles was holding.

"Would you like it?" Charles smiled as he pushed the plate into Angelina's hands. He didn't even give her a chance to say yes or no.

She looked down on the cake in her hands and her heart slightly shook. It was a red velvet cake. Her favorite...

She lifted her head again and stared into Charles with slight astonishment.

"It's your favorite right? I personally made the imperial chef from Vancelia to personally make it for you." A smile bloomed on his face.

"......." Angelina stared at him with complete dumbfoundedness. She was about to refuse, since it would definitely cause rumors to spread. But looking at his eyes full of expectation and sincerity, she couldn't find the heart to reject his kind offer.

"Thank you, your majesty" Angelina accepted politely and bowed her head.

Seeing her accept with courtesy, Charles slightly frowned. But he immediately recovered his expression and gently smiled.

Rienne, Arianna, Alice, and the other ladies were completely stunned. They were completely frozen with shock and speechless.

Evelina who watched their interaction, face turned pale and cold sweat covered her forehead.

Seeing the man who played a role in her fall from grace, she was terrified.

"Lady Evelina? What's wrong" Rulias patted the top of her head and asked with concern.

"I'm alright, brother Rulias. Thank you for your concern." Evelina steadied her breathing and formed a fairy-like smile.

Seeing her sweet smile that was meant for him, Rulias's ears turned slightly red. He quickly shook his head and directed his gaze to the two people peacefully chatting with harmony.

Rulias slowly frowned. His piercing gaze wasn't ignored by Angelina. She turned to look directly at him before smiling.

"......" Charles frowned once more. He misunderstood her hostile smile as a friendly one. He shifted his gaze to Rulias and made sure to imprint his image in his mind. It seems he has found a new person to add in his 'list'.

************************

As night fell, everyone eventually left and went back to their own estates.

"Let's go sister" Angelina smiled as she reminded Evelina that time was up.

This banquet was held for the young and second generation nobles. So the duke and duchess were not present.

Evelina who was currently chatting with Chase left reluctantly.

She was glad Chase didn't go back in time as well. So now she had the chance to fix her mistake. She needed to attach Chase more to herself. To make sure he would never leave her.

"Lily" Charles called out to Angelina. Making sure his voice wasn't too loud as to not pull too much attention.

"...?" Angelina, who was just about to step inside the carriage, stopped and looked back at Charles.

Charles stopped in front of her, placed his big and warm hand on her head and patted her head gently.

His head leaned in and he whispered into her the words, "come visit at the mansion." He paused before continuing with a quieter tone.

"I miss you"

"....!" Angelina flinched with surprise and her ears reddened to a cherry-like color. Embarrassed, Angelina quickly said her goodbye and rushed to get inside the carriage.

As he watched the carriage carrying the lady he always longed for away, go further and further, his previous warm and gentle smile dimmed and his expression turned colder than ice.

He turned his head slightly and was met with cold amethyst eyes. The two men made eye contact before giving each other hostile glares.