III. Pleasant Future

Ava's POV:

Ben was the one who suggested it. I couldn’t imagine Ben wanting to go to any school event. He always dodges it as if it’ll give him so sort of disease if he goes.

“What are we all talking about?” Trevon came with Mina in his arms. I know what they did. Earlier, Trevon received a message from Mina, and he practically threw himself out of the car while it was moving. Judging from how both of them had chapsticks on their lips. They probably came back from a makeout session somewhere in the school.

“We’re talking about the winter dance,” Mary responds. “Are you two going together?”

“Of course,” Trevon responds. He looks at Mina, “We are going together, right?” I blame myself for my twin low self-esteem.

“Of course, we are! You’re my boyfriend. Who else am I supposed to go with? The English teacher?” I’m slightly thankful that Mina became Trevon’s girlfriend. When Maeve was his girlfriend, all she did was boss him around and stepped on his already low self-esteem as if he’s lucky to have her - a woman with a child whose father is in prison.

“Well, you can’t. That’s illegal,” Trevon responds. That’s such a Trevon thing to say. Even while Mina is sarcastic, he couldn’t catch on.

We all exhale dramatically.

“Did I say something wrong?”

Mina pouts, “I can’t even be mad at you.” She crosses her arms and stomps her foot. I can see why Luke fell for her. Mina has this appeal to her, one where people tend to become comfortable.

“Wait. Why would you be angry?” Trevon asks. “Did I do something wrong?”

We all exhale dramatically again.

Among the conversational exchange, I witnessed Winnie and her little crew waltz through the hallway. Her eyes met mine momentarily, but she didn’t acknowledge me. I can see her eyes flicker towards Ben, but instantly, she avoids him.

Landon and few guys flock towards Winnie. He said something into her ears, and she laughs. Not too long after, they disappeared around the corner.

I glance at Ben, who stared at the corner. His head dropped down, and his lips twisted to its side. His hands formed small fists, but it flattens.

There was something in his silence, a pain behind it. I watched. I watched Ben’s eyes. Then I knew. The exhaustion was apparent. His dark bags couldn’t be hidden underneath the thick glasses. The laughter from earlier was nothing more than a shield. He’s scared. He’s scared that this is his life, a lonely and desperate one.

He breathed in real slow, attempting to pull back the explosion.

I should know.

I understand the bitter pain of unrequited love.

“You know what? That sounds good,” I said.

“What sounds good?” Mary question.

“I thought about it. Why don’t all of us go together? Dates are overrated.”

I don’t want Ben to go through the same pain I did. To sit there, and wonder - just when - just when will their hearts change. The answer is: it never does. Because you can’t force someone to change who they love or who they are. They change because they want to change.