VII. Freaking Fickle Licky Dicky Doodle

Ava's POV:

Eli smirks, "You got to give something to get something." He puckers his lips.

"Eli. I'm in no mood to joke." Eli's personality is quite transparent. He uses humor as a defense mechanism.

And I hate that part of his personality.

He puts down his fork and rests his chin against the table, "Why does it matter whether or not I come here?"

"I want an answer, not a question."

"So do I."

My eyes narrow, "I asked first."

"It's about me."

"You're my friend. I want to know why my friend stops coming here. Is that an acceptable reason?"

His eyes lurk upward, "Sounds reasonable." He pouts, "I don't know. After you lost your memories, I thought it was awkward to drop by so often."

"Wouldn't it make more sense if you drop by often, and attempted to get close to me again?"

He grins, "Disappointed I didn't?"

"Disappointed you aren't a better liar." My words are sharp and cruel, I know it.

His smiles drop, "Your personality never changes even after you lost your memories. You've always been so mean Ava Makee." There seem to be layers of hidden meanings behind his words. Those layers are meant to be a distraction. He's indirectly changing the subject again. This time, in a much smarter method.

But, in the end, Eli is still young and his methods are still rusty. The chair below me scraps against wood as I got up. I circled the table and his eyes follow. My hands dropped on the surface, preventing him from escaping. "Answers."

"Questions," he responds.

"If I'm not the reason, then why did you stop coming to my house?"

"I got sick."

I cock my head, "Sick?"

"While you were in the hospital, I got sick. And, even after you got better, I didn't. My family was over the moon concern, so they didn't allow me to go to anyone else house." When I look at him, I couldn't pick up any reaction; clues that he may be lying. He's telling the truth.

"And now?"

He turned his body, one of his hand covered mine. It's hot. Burning hot. "I'm here, aren't I?"

I swallowed fiercely while his eye refuses to remove itself. It was a declaration of war, one where I seem to be losing.

"Ava." The kitchen door opened and I removed myself. "Do you have any extra-" Ben stops talking when he saw Eli. He points a finger at him, "You-"

"Me." Eli grins, "I'm here because my mom asked me to bring Ava some food. She found out Trevon used me as an excuse to meet up with Mina. Why are you here?"

Eli is good. He's able to control his surrounding so well, it's almost scary. Particularly for someone his age. I didn't turn around. If I did, Ben may see my face.

"I'm here because...I happened to drop by."

Eli leaned back and raise a brow, "Oh? Then, kindly explain the extra blanket? Trevon and you are having a sleepover without me...and Trevon?"

Ben closes his eyes and exhale, "You know."

"I know. So, please, savor the lies for someone else."

Like he's one to talk.