XI. Gentleman

Ava's POV:

I turn around, seeing him standing on the other side of the hallway. "What?"

"What's wrong with this shirt?"

Everything is wrong with that shirt.

"It's been collecting dust in my locker for too long! I don't want to get a rash!" I bit my inner cheeks, feeling a surge of emotions rushing through every fiber of my body. "It's time I give it back to you! It...It was never mine to begin with!" The words seem to choke me, ruthlessly.

Luke stood there, allowing the shirt to linger on his side as he stared at me. At that moment, the sunlight beams through the glass, reflecting on the freckles dancing across his cheeks. His brown hair wisp across his eyes, the ones that weren't made to be mine.

The ones that will never look at me.

I swallow, eyes tilting towards the ground as my legs motion down the empty halls.

Empty.

It's always so empty.

Settling myself inside the restroom, I continue wiping onto my shirt...over...over...and over.

Again...again...again.

Why won't the damn juice come off?

It refuses to remove itself.

I continued wiping, feeling my hand shaking as it held the shirt tightly. Biting my upper lip, I look up to see a reflection of myself. Hair was in disarray from the continuous motion of rushing my fingers through it. The edge of my lip was slightly red due to the constant biting. I ran my fingers across my cheek, "Why are you crying?"

The paper towel drop from my hand sways down towards the ground.

I did the same.

I bury my hands over my face, "Stupid Ava. Don't cry. Don't cry. He isn't worth crying over."

After all this time, I thought I was done crying for him. Yet, with a dash of memory from the past, it all came back.

I didn't return to class.

Finally, the lunch bell rang. I sigh, hearing my stomach growl. "You do not respect me when I say I need some personal time," I grumble, pointing at my stomach.

Stepping out of the stall, I checked the hallway to ensure it was nearly empty. I rush towards the lockers to grab my makeup and hide the red marks around my eyes from the constant rubbing.

After covering up my eyes with makeup, a sigh of relief exited my throat. I close my locker and leap back. "Oh shit! Eli! You scared me!" I scream, patting my booming chest. "How long have you been standing there?"

His eyes narrow, "I called you a few times, but you didn't respond." He tilts his head, "Were you crying?"

"No," I respond too fast.

Eli's gaze drops to my stained shirt, and his cheeks turn red. He placed a fist over his mouth and began coughing. I looked down, realizing my purple bra was peeking. I glance up, seeing the shade on Eli's face rush towards his ears, and I laugh.

He closes his eyes, "Shut up," he grumbles.

I close my arms, holding a smirk on my lips. "This is a surprise considering you have been trying to get into my pants for nearly three weeks."

Eli peeks at me, "I am." He looks down at my breasts, "But, I was raised to be a gentleman."

I place a finger under his chin and lift it, "Mister Gentleman, my eyes are up here."