LXI. Kill Me Now

Eli was on the ground with his hands pressed against his chest and he was making a heaving sound that could scare anybody. "Eli. Are you okay?" Quickly, I reached for my cell phone and dialed 911.

A hand covered my phone and I looked up to see an unbelievable smile. Not unbelievable as in out-of-this-world unbelievable, but unbelievable as in what-that-actual-fuck-did-he-do.

I was too speechless to say a single word.

"I knew you wouldn't leave me."

All because I was speechless doesn't mean I wasn't fuming. How dare he.

I stood up, slowly, from the ground and he did the same. "I'm sorry for doing that, but we both know I don't have the athletic skills to chase you." I cannot believe he had the audacity to make a joke. 

I smile at Eli. 

Steadily, his smile flattered, "Um- you're kind of scaring me."

"I scare you?" I question with crazy wide eyes. "Me?"

He nodded, "Just a little."

I took a step closer and he swallowed harshly, "Good. You should be afraid." I kicked him on the shin and he dropped to the ground. 

"I deserve that," he managed to gasp out. 

I turned my heels and marched away from the injured Eli. I cannot believe he used his health on me. How dare he? I actually thought he was going to die. 

The more I thought about what happened, the angrier I got. I was so lost in the moment and the torment my brain was in, I started seeing red. The vivid colors during my first days of returning were long gone and there was a tension in my head. My palms grew wet and cold and I tightened them into fists. 

"Ava-" Eli's voice somehow sounds distant despite the fact that he's standing right in front of me, "I'm sorry. That was meant to be a joke. You know, to ease the tension or something."

There was a scream buried in my mouth, and I swallowed firmly to keep it down. "A joke?" I tried my best to hide the demon that demanded to be unleashed. But, I contained it by a string and that damn string is about to snap.

Eli chuckled softly, "Yeah. I mean, it's just- I'm sorry."

I take a few blinks to decrease the emotions, but all I can feel is anger. But, somehow, the more I blinked the wetter my cheeks felt. Eli reaches for me but I turn my head. "That wasn't funny."

"You're right," he responded. "It isn't. I won't make that joke again, I promise." He holds my hand, "Forgive me this one time. Okay?"

I locked my teeth firmly and tried my best to settle the raging heartbeats. Now, is the perfect time isn't it? Make a small problem into a large one and let it all spiral down from there onward. I withdraw my head, "I can't take this."

"W-What?"

My gaze dropped, "I can't do this."

"I'm sorry?" I wish I could see the look on his face right now, but I couldn't. "Is it because I said I love you? I can take it back."

I shake my head, "I...We...I thought I could handle it, but I can't."

"My love?"

I shake my head.

"Is it because...I told you I was...sick?" Eli chuckles softly, "It's not serious," he said. "I'm good now. N-Nothing is going to hap-"

"How long?" I asked. "How long are you going to continue lying to me?"