II. I'm From the Future

Ava's POV:

My head slammed against the nightstand, "Ow!" I screamed, settling myself upward, feeling the blood dripping down my head. "You couldn't have landed me gently?!"

Curling myself into a ball, I squeezed my palms onto my head. After some intense moments, I glanced up to see my old bedroom.

A small single bed, looking like a snowdrift, so white and feathery and high laid on top of a woods. There was one window curtained with a square of starched blue cotton curtains. The room splattered with blue hung with an endless amount of photos. The walls draped with ribbons and trophies, showing off my so-called accomplishments.

I swallowed, hearing clutters of pots and pans downstairs. Tippy-toeing out of the somehow disturbing bedroom, my eyes laid on the hallway with a single reddish carpet resting on the fresh ground.

With each step, the thumping inside my chest increased as I got closer to the stairs. A rush of water roared inside the bathroom, and I stopped walking when the door opened, revealing my twin brother Trevon.

His matching dark brown eyes blinked as mine examined his features - no wrinkles and grey hair but overall the same. The last time I saw him was over ten years ago when he called me a lying bitch for saying his wife was a cheater.

I don't blame him for not believing me; after all, at that moment - we are more like strangers than siblings. We barely talked - more like I pushed him away - when I graduated from high school.

"What? Why are you crying?" His voice was pitched higher than I remembered.

Suddenly, I slammed my body at him and cried.

His arms dangled in the air, "Why are you crying!"

"What did I tell you about making your sister cry!" a loud voice boomed throughout the house.

Twisting my body, my eyes met with the only man who ever stuck beside me even when he found out his daughter was a whore a year later. "Daddy!" I screamed, causing both of them to flinch.

I released Trevon and leaped on my dad, wrapping my arms and legs around his body like a baby. "I'm s-sorry daddy. I'll be good from now on! I'm not a shameless skunky w-whore!"

His chest vibrated as he patted my back, "What's wrong with my little girl? Did someone bully you?"

I shook my head as the memory of our last meeting slammed into my mind.

He stood there; head hung low as the water grazed on his eyes. "I-I'm disappointed in you Ava...I-I...Where did I go wrong with you?" he whispered as I stood there in a red dress, hair in disarray as his boss shamelessly walked out the door.

I sniffed, releasing him then wiped the booger from my nose with my forearm. "I'll make you proud," I spoke in a stern voice.

He smiles, "Yay?" he responded while glancing at Trevon, who placed a finger on top of his head and circled it. Dad touched my bruising head, "Woah, that's quite the hit. Are you okay?"

I nodded, "I got some sense knocked into me."

"About time!" Trevon shouted.

I burst out laughing, causing his smile to drop while dad's face grew a shade paler, probably wondering if I needed a therapist. "You're so funny, Trev!" I continued laughing then slammed a fist onto his chest. He backed away, rubbing his chest as he looked at me with wide eyes while I slammed my foot on the floor a few times.

At that moment, I wanted to cry so very badly, but I know I couldn't.

I forced myself to laugh.

Dad cleared his throat, "That's...nice." He scratched his head, ignoring my strange behavior, "Why don't you two kids get ready for your first day of school."

I wiped the tears from the corner of my eye, "The first day of school?"

"The first day of Junior year...Oh yeah!" Trevon nodded as he walked back into his bedroom.

The first day of Junior year - the year I became the school slut. Unfortunately, two years after, I slept with Luke.

I smiled, nodding to myself while dad still stares at me. I kissed his cheek, "I'm going to be the best daughter in the whole wide world!" I rushed towards the bedroom to get ready for the day.

Entering the bedroom, I spun my body in circles, "I'm free!" I screamed, then turned on some music and began dancing. Humming the lyrics to myself, I rambled through my closet until I found some sweats and t-shirt squished in the back.

Today, I would show off my school status by wearing something that clung onto my curves, but fuck it!

Fuck school!

I threw on the clothes and rushed out of my bedroom without a trace of makeup. Skipping down the stairs with my backpack hung on my back, everyone was present. I sat down and grabbed one pancake after another. When I realized there was a plate of bacon, I caught it and poured it on my plate then soak my pancakes with syrup, "Food. Food. Food," I sang, shoving the pieces into my mouth.

For over twenty years, I kept my body in check with a strict diet of fruits and veggies. When I mushed the food into my mouth, I realized what I had missed.

A tear trickled down.

Dad and Trevon stared at me. I swallowed the food and smiled, "It's delicious." I wave a hand over my teary face.

"About time someone compliments my cooking," a sweet voice rings.

I bit my tongue, attempting to fight the urge to run towards her, but it fails horribly, "It's so good, mommy!" I cried and hugged her by the waist when she put down some eggs.

"Wow, that bump is swelling." She taps the bump, causing me to flinch.

Mom chuckled, unwrapping my arms. "Perhaps that head bump helped you adjust that bratty little personality of yours." She smiled and went to the kitchen. She returned with a bag filled with ice and rested it on my forehead as I stared at her.

Mom...died when she found out I was sleeping with my boss.

Her heart wasn't stable at the time and...I was the last straw.

When she sat beside me, I clung onto her, "I'm sorry for being a bratty daughter," I whispered, shoving my face into her neck, inhaling her amazing breakfast like scent - Gosh, I must be hungry.

After we finished breakfast, Trevon and I got ready for school. Dad had to pry my fingers off mom when it was time to go. "Let's bake cupcakes when I get home," I said in a stern voice before walking towards the car.

Everyone stood there staring at me as I walked away. Mom and dad glanced at Trevon, "Don't ask me. You two gave her life," he said.

I hummed an unknown melody and began skipping. Feeling the buzz inside my back pocket, I pulled out my phone to see Luke's name. "Oh, not this life." I end the call.

"What is wrong with you?" Trevon asked.

"Want to know a secret?" I whisper, closening our distance.

Trevon hesitated, but he leaned to the side, "Yeah?"

"I'm from the future."