XII. Invisible Money

Ava's POV:

How do you explain to a child that his mother had an affair with your future ex-husband's father?

And somehow, by a stroke of devil's luck, his babysitter traveled back in time and changed his father's way of thinking, which is the reason why his parents are divorced.

I exhaled light and played with his hair, "Miles. Sometimes people do things. Unpleasant things. And for some unknown reason, they didn't think of those around them. And how they hurt them."

He rests his chin at my armpit, "Did mom hurt dad?"

I smile softly, "I can't tell you about your dad's feelings. You have to ask him that."

"Dad doesn't like it when we talk about mom." He pouts, "He gets sad. Then, at night, he cries. I don't like it when he cries."

My heart tightens at the thought of Mr.Nocella sitting inside his studies and crying at night. I've caught it before. When his wife was away, I would intrude on their lovely home. After our night together, Mr.Nocella would sneak into his studies and cry.

Temporary relief.

That's what I've become.

"Give him some time," I say. "One day, things will get better." I don't know if I'm saying that to him or myself. It could be both.

Miles snuggles further into me, "I'm glad you're here. You make things better."

"Miles. Can I ask you something?"

"What is it?"

"Why do you and Zach like me so much?" I've always thought it was odd. How the boys like me despite the fact how we only met once. Physical attraction plays a large factor. I know that much. It's unfortunate, but physical looks do determine your role in society. Maybe, that's why it hurt when my psychiatrist brought up that factor.

How I'm forced to face the reality that I am a pretty face to a lot of people.

Miles smiles, "Because you're nice. You don't-" his sight moves away, "You don't talk bad things."

I exhale, "Oh, Miles." I held him closer to me. It must not be easy to hear the town talk about your parents. How your mother is a whore and how unfortunate your father has become.

"Those ladies aren't nice," he said. "They keep coming over, and dad doesn't like it." I'm assuming he is referring to women who want to become the next Mrs.Nocella.

After my hours were nearly over, I tucked the boys into bed. Miles grabbed my sleeve, "Next weekend?"

I smile and pull the covers over him, "Next weekend."

He yawns, "Yay." His eyes close, and soon, soft breathing made its appearance.

Gently, I closed the door and made my way downstairs. Mr.Nocella was standing by the counter with a white envelope, "The boys are asleep," I said.

He smiles, "Thank you so much for staying late."

"No problem."

Mr.Nocella hands me the envelope, "Here you go."

I tried my best not to squeal over my first paycheck. I opened the envelope to see a check inside, and with my thumb, I slid it open. My eyes widen, "This is more than what we agreed on."

"Well, you stay late today."

"This is still more then what we agreed on." I'm sure no other employees complained about their paycheck. But I couldn't do it. I couldn't take the extra payment.