XXIX. Bitches of the Same Feather

Ava's POV:

I look down, feeling the water bashing against my lashes. "Luke likes another girl-" I inhaled a deep breath, a smile making its way on my face, "and I'm learning how to accept that right now." I brush off the tear that drips down, "And I don't want to start something else that can hurt me. I don't want to carry more luggage when I can hardly carry the ones I have now."

Mom held me close, and I wrapped my arms around her waist. "I don't want to get hurt again, mom."

She patted my back, "No one does, sweetheart."

Mom held me tightly, but at the same time, it was so gentle. I wonder if, in the past, she had always known. Perhaps, she had always seen past my mask appearance. But, I never gave her the chance to enter my life, because I thought I knew it all. I thought I could handle it all by myself. Because that's what grownups do, they bear the burden by themselves.

That's not true.

Mom settles two cups of lemonade on the coffee table. "Sweetheart? How is your day?"

I groaned, "Fine mom," I replied and continued typing on my phone. I laughed at one of the jokes from the group text with my friends.

"I made lemonade. Do you want some?"

"Maybe later," I mumbled, crossing one leg above the other.

She licks her lips, "Talking to your friends?"

I rolled my eyes, "Yeah."

"I heard you got a game this Friday." She smiles, "Must be exciting."

"Yeah."

I sat up, "Mom?"

Her face brightened up, "What is it, sweetheart?"

"Can I sleepover at Winnie tonight?"

"Tonight?" Her smile drops, "Sweetheart, it's a family fun night. We are all supposed to go out for Pizza and watch a movie together. Remember?"

I rolled my eyes and continued chewing the gum in my mouth. "Mom. Come on. I'm in high school. Don't you think Trevon and I are too old for this?"

"Trevon love Family Fun Night."

"Then, can't you all go without me?" I resume playing on my phone. "Please? Just this once." I gave her a half-hearted side glance, "Winnie, and I will practice our cheers tonight. I don't want to mess up for the big game this weekend," I pouted.

Instead of plastering my face against the phone, I would've seen the sad and disappointed look in mom's eyes. She had always loved Family Fun Night.

"All right...Just this once."

It wasn't just that one time.

In the beginning, it was mom who bothered me to attend, then dad, and finally, Trevon. At one point, they merely stopped asking me. They continued the family tradition without me.

Perhaps, that's the reason why I couldn't cry at mom's funeral. It's because I already said goodbye to her a long time ago.

But, as I sat at the dining table with my family, I couldn't help but regret my decisions. I should be grateful to be born into a family who loves and cherishes me, but somehow I took it all for granted.

I played my life as the victim, but I never considered those I victimized.

I glance to my right to see the two thorns to my side, Luke and Landon. When school was over, Mr.Nocella called us into his classroom in preparation for the Fall Festival. Mr.Nocella stood in front of us and began notifying us of our responsibility as representatives. We need to format an idea of what to do at our booth, gather local store supports for materials and many other things that somehow escape my brain.