XX. Burst of Bubble

Ava's POV:

"Av," Winnie said. "Mind if we have a chat?" She looks at everyone. "Privately?"

"Sure," I respond.

Winnie leaned against the wall and took out a pack of cigarettes, "Want one?"

I shook my head, "I told you. I'm quitting."

She removes one from the pack.

"And you should too."

Winnie lay it between her lips and lit it up, "What can I say? Old habits die hard." She exhales the smoke and rests her head against bricks. "You know, I've been smoking since I was twelve. Found it in my mom's purse. She always lit one after her boss beat her."

"And your reasoning?"

"I like to smoke when he beats her."

"No one likes to smoke."

"But, they do enjoy the aftermath."

"Lung cancer?"

"The shorter aftermath."

"It's only temporary."

"A temporary means of escape-" She took another inhalation, "is better than no escape."

"How did you guys get into this?" There's no point in running around the situation; it'll only waste time.

Winnie ran her tongue across her cheek and rested a leg against the wall. "My mom wasn't born here. She was from another country," she said. "Mom got sold to a man here, and that's how we end up in the states." Winnie looks at me, "You know, like one of those foreign brides."

"Your dad wasn't a good man?"

Winnie shook her head, "A man who purchased a woman to be his wife. I believe with just that; he's expelled from the good man group." She took another inhalation, "It turns out the marriage was a shame. They weren't legally married, and daddy dearest went to prison. The government took pity, so they allowed us to stay here as long as mom has a job. That was the deal."

"And how did you two end up in that house?"

"Mom became a janitor, and well, life was rough. I mean, you saw my mom before." Winnie's mom is beautiful. That's a fact. Beautiful, intelligent, but uneducated - a lethal blow. "So, at her old company, she met her current boss. One thing leads to another; the wife agreed to let my mom be a maid in their lavish house."

"Wife?"

Winnie nods, "The husband would work, and the wife would tour the world. She doesn't care about my mom as long as she knows her place." Winnie smirk, "You know, as the gold digger of the household."

Winnie threw down the finished cigarette and crushed the fire with her shoes. She looks at me, "Times like this, people would've said something on the line of: I'm sorry this happened to you."

I cross my arms and lean back, "Empty apologies won't do anything."

"How about: I met your mom before. Your mom isn't that type of woman."

I chuckle, "Then, I would be lying." I turn my head, "You know your mom best."

Winnie cracked into an uneven laugh, "You're right. If you did say that, you would be a liar. My mom is a fucking gold digger."

It's apparent the reason why Winnie's mom decided to stay with the abuser. It's the lifestyle. Winnie's mom enjoys the lavish life. I met Winnie's mom before; her hands are too soft to be someone's maid.

The title maid is carved on her records for show - a mere reminder from the wife that she will never be replaced.

"So, tell me," I said. "What are you going to do next?"