XLI. Who's Eli

Ava's POV:

We spent the day at the abandoned amusement part and the night being screamed at by our parents.

It was worth it.

"Ava Makee!" My dad shouted. "We taught you better than to skip school with your b-b-boy...b-boyf-" dad still has a difficult time coping with the fact that I have a boyfriend. "Elijah!"

Mom stood in the corner of the room and shook her head. Not because of me but the man in front of me.

"Look." Mom steps up. Trevon is in the corner, eating popcorn. He loves watching me get in trouble. "We're happy that you found someone you like-"

"We? Don't you we this," dad said.

Mom glared at him before continuing, "But skipping school so you can go on a play date is not a good decision. You're grounded for the week. No going out unless it's for school or your job."

"Sounds fair," I said. I mean, I did skip school right in front of the teacher to play all day.

"That's it?" Trevon asks. "That's all she's getting?"

"Yeah. That's all she's getting?" Dad leaps into the same boat as Trevon.

It feels like they have a mutual bond over punishing me somehow.

"What else should she be getting?" Mom asks.

"I don't know? Maybe revoke her phone?" Trevon included.

"Or maybe, we should revoke her boyfriend," dad said. Somehow in his mind, that's possible.

"Why don't I just lock her up in the basement and board the room?" Mom said sarcastically.

"That feels a bit too harsh," dad said. "But, we can always lock her up in her room and board up her window just in case that kid tries to climb in." He looks at me, "I know he does. I just haven't caught him."

I place two hands in the air as a form of defeat. Eli does sneak into my room before, just through the front door. He said he's not a good climber. Sometimes, he sneaks into the bathroom downstairs and makes his way upstairs.

He stopped doing that when I suggested the idea of sleeping over with Trevon and Ben. He told me Ben is a light sleeper, but I told him Ben would decline because of Winnie. Of course, I didn't tell him about Winnie staying with Ben. Then, there's Trevon, who sleeps like a rock.

He got that from my dad.

Because of that suggestion, he stops sneaking through windows.

I couldn't stand watching him pathetically squeeze through spaces he shouldn't be squeezing into.

It was funny at first.

Now, it's just sad.

"Don't turn this into a bigger deal than it has to be. Are you going to tell me you didn't do that when you're younger?"

"Well, it's different," dad replies.

"And whatever you say next will sound sexist," mom said. "So, we'll all save our breaths." She looks at me, "One week."

I nod, "Alright."

"Family jury over. I'm going to go watch tv." Mom left the room.

Dad pouts, "I never get to do anything around here." He follows mom to the other room. His favorite show is on.

I look at Trevon, "Had a good show?"

He drops the popcorn into the bowl, "Not good enough. Waste of popcorn."