LV. Tread Cautiously

Ava's POV:

"Welcome. Welcome."

Don't do it Ava.

I rolled my eyes.

I'm not sorry.

"Well-" Seth scanned another item, "It's nice to know a fellow classmate missed me."

I grabbed my wallet.

He stops scanning and presses his palms against the counter, "Don't tell me." There's always something about his tone that gets much more irritating each time I hear it, and now with the purposely girly pitch, it sounds so much more annoying. "Since threats and a mean voice won't work, why don't I try ignoring him? Eventually, he will stop having fun and move on."

He's good at impressions. "My voice doesn't sound like that."

Seth smiles, "Doesn't it?"

I inhale a sharp breath, "Why don't you do what you're paid for?"

"What are you talking about?" Seth questions, "I am doing my job." He scans another item, "Establishing a good rapport with the local shoppers is very important."

Being born and raised in a small town comes with limitations. Such as, having a certain selection of grocery stores. And this store carries the items my family loves.

"Why are you so fixed on me?"

Seth smiles, "Because we're friends."

I scoff softly, "Classmate? Yes. Neighbors? Yes. Friends? Hm."

"Oh, so we have a label now? Which one do you think is better, classmate or neighbor?"

I rolled my eyes and took out the card. I have a feeling no matter what I say or do, he's going to be a thorn in my side until graduation.

"Or maybe we can be in a-" Seth scans the last item and bags it, "situationship?"

I paused. How does he know that?

He chuckles, "That's not right. Maybe a couendship?"

I know the look in my eyes is far from pleasant. "How-"

"That'll be $50.49."

I swiped the card and he approved it. "Have a nice day, classmate."

With my hands gripped onto the shopping cart, I rolled away. I need to get away and think. Yes, that's precisely what a reasonable person would do. Deep breaths and logical critical thinking.

"Oh-"

Why did I pause?

"And don't take it too hard. I'm sure there's a good reason why Eli doesn't want to see you."

I told myself not to let Seth get under my skin, but the guy has a way of getting under your skin and straight into the nerve.

I march back to him.

He rests against the counter with a smile.

"5pm. The park."

I have to resolve this, no more running away.

"Which park?"

I walked away, "The one near our houses!"

"But, I'm busy!"

"Cancel your plans."

"Oh, come-"

I glared at him, "The park Seth."

I wish I missed it, but I didn't - that snarky smile is back.

The trip to the park wasn't a pleasant one, particularly since I know who is waiting for me there. When I reached the nearly abandoned playground, I spotted Seth on the swings.