XVIII. GameBoy

Ava's POV:

Settling myself in front of the screen, I type furiously. "Money," I repeated for God knows how many times.

I flipped through piles of books beside me a few times before returning to the screen.

It's 4 a.m.

I've been learning about stocks for the past few weeks. Quickly, I realized that I held an addiction to coffee. Clicking on the bank account that I begged my parents to open, I sigh, "I'm so poor." I realized that my bank account held less than $50.

"Ava Makee, your net worth is $50 now, but work hard enough, and there will be extra zeros in the back," I self encourage, as I scanned through different companies stocks.

In my previous life, I remember how dad used to watch TV about stocks and yelled at them, disregarding the fact that it has nothing to do with our lives. Sometimes, I feel like he is trying to find a reason to scream at something.

From what I heard, he tried putting on his masculinity mask before and yelled at mom during their younger days to look cool in front of their friends - something about taking charge in the relationship. She backhanded slapped him, and left his sorry ass the same day.

It took nearly his whole bank account, which consists of a sorrowful $200 during his ramen consumption days and a poorly written song for her to slap him again before forgiving him.

"Bingo," I hummed a light tune to myself and invested a mediocre $45 to the stock. It's vague - extremely for me to remember which company made it since I half paid attention, but I remember this company made it.

I sipped in my nearly empty cup and sang happily. "Money. Money. Money. I'm going to be a rich lady. La la la. It's not cheating to use the knowledge you already have from the future. La la la." I know it's a poorly sung song, but I never said I was a genius in composition.

I must have inherited my singing skills from dad.

When I realized my cup was empty, I tiptoe downstairs to grab more coffee. Sorting through the cabinets, I realized it was empty. "Thank goodness I still have that $5 in my bank account...and the $20 I stole from Trev." I nodded in approval to my old nasty habit of stealing from my twin.

I know it's wrong, but I can't twist a complete 180 in my personality, or people will get suspicious. I do not want the government to breathe behind my neck when they know I'm technically from the future.

Plus, I know I would not enjoy having scientists probing my brain.

Not bothering to change out of my pink pajamas, I grabbed a large black jacket and drove to the store. Once I reached it, I opened the door and shivered in the cold morning air. The parking lot was nearly empty with a few employee cars, "Coffee. Money. Coffee. Money," I chanted out my two current goals.

When I reached the inside of the store, I heaved a breath before entering the addicting aisle. I grabbed the box of my favorite brand, much to my parents' disapproval, and embraced it.

"I miss you, baby," I whispered creepily, feeling the cool cardboard against my cheek. "Shall we go conquer the world together?"

"Wow," a familiar voice rang.

I turned around to see Seth - the potentially gay second male lead in Mina's love life.

I need to stop reading all those romance novels Mary has been giving me.

Seth is also one of the three people I've been trying to avoid for the past few weeks since he is close to Mina. I wanted to slap myself for forgetting he works at the local store, but my face is too pretty to be hit.