VI. Miss Liar Liar Pants on Fire

Ava's POV:

I wish I can agree with Ben, but then I would be lying.

"Ben." I settled beside him, "I'm not a good person."

His eyes settled on his inhaler. There's a type of silence between us, an uncomfortable one. I want to say something, but nothing seems to come out. "But I still like you."

I look at him.

Ben smiles, "Don't look at me like that," he said. "I know you must have your reasons as to why."

I exhale lightly, "The person you saw beating up Winnie's mom isn't her dad. He's her boss."

"Winnie and her mom live with her boss?"

"Yeah."

"You mean-"

"Winnie's mom is a maid."

"But, I heard-"

I shook my head, "It's all a lie. Winnie made it all up. I didn't know until this year." It wasn't necessarily a lie. In my past, I didn't find out until Junior year.

"But-"

"It's better if you hear the rest from Winnie," I said. "Come on. We need to change and treat her before she's conscious." Once Winnie wakes up, things are going to get tricky. I got up and made my way into the bedroom. "Coming?" I asked.

Ben fidgets in the hallway, "Are you going to change her?"

"Yeah. Her clothes are wet. I mean, you also need to change clothes t-" at that moment, I understood Ben's hesitation. "Wait here." I walk towards Trevon's room. Inside his room, I pull the drawer open to see a box of condoms. I pulled the lid. Unopened. Unused.

In the front, there was a note. "Good luck, son." There was also a winky face. I exhaled dramatically and grabbed a set of clothes. I'll pretend I didn't see it.

I closed Trevon's door and handed a trembling Ben the set of clothes. "Here. Change into this, and I'll change Winnie's clothes. I'll call you in later to help me treat her."

He nods, "Got it."

Once I'm inside my bedroom, I saw a curled-up body. I stopped in front of the bed and stared at it. "I know you're awake."

Winnie refuses to move.

I head towards my closet and pull out a set of clothes. Since I'm a bit taller then Winnie, she may have to roll up the pants. Other than that, our sizes should be about the same. I set the clothes on the edge of the bed and sat down. "You either wake up, or I'll change your clothes for you."

Winnie turned her head, and underneath the bright light, I could see her features better. There was a black bruise underneath her right eye. He probably punched her there. There's also a large cut on her lips. She looks like she got out of a cage match.

She sat upward, her hair scattered all over her face, "How much does he know?"

"Your mom is a maid, and her boss beats both of you."

Winnie swallowed and pulled the covers towards her upper body.

"Did he...do anything to you?" I didn't want to mention any words that may trigger her.

Winnie's gaze refuses to meet mine. She shook her head, "Not. Not yet."

I ran my fingers up my hair, "Change and stay here tonight."

Winnie didn't respond.

"I'll stay here, so you can have some time to make up an excuse." I know it's harder for Winnie to face Ben then me.