XV. Damn Difference

Ava's POV:

I spin around in the classic white dress and nod in approval. "You look good, and you know that." I grinned, "If I could, I would marry you in a heartbeat." I wink at myself.

After indulging in self-love, I grabbed the earrings on the counter and plugged it on.

"Av! Come on! We need to go! Go! Go! Go!" Trevon knocked on the door for the billionth time.

I plug in one earring, "For the last time, they are coming here!" We all agreed to meet at my house for the limo ride.

Trevon knocked against my door again.

I threw it open, "What?"

"It's just I was thinking, maybe we should pick up everyone one by one, so I can properly pick up-" Trevon stops talking and scans my body. "What in the world are you wearing?"

"A dress."

"That's a tablecloth."

I press a hand against my head, "Don't start."

"Dad!"

He's starting.

"Trev!"

"Dad! Your daughter got some splainin to do!" Trevon's voice echoes throughout the house. "Da-"

"I'm coming! I'm coming!" I can hear pounding on the stairs. "What's so impo-" dad stop talking, "Young lady, you got some splainin to do." He crossed his arms, "Now, splain why you're wearing a tablecloth."

"Dad. It's a dress."

"Did the factory happen to run out of material while they were making the dress? So, they thought, why not sell it for half-off? Since it's half its proper size."

"It cost forty dollars."

Dad pressed his hand against his chest, "You spent forty dollars on something that was meant to be a shirt?"

"Well, it's my money." It feels good to say that.

Dad chuckled, "Oh, I see. You're going to use that on me, huh." He ran his hands up his hair, "Well, then that must mean you're an adult now, right?"

"Dad." I know where he's going with this.

"It must mean, you're ready to pay for your electricity, right?" He tucks his arms behind his back and leans in closer, "Your phone bill? Rent? Mortgages?"

"You tell her dad," Trevon whispered on the sideline.

I frown, "Don't do this. Mom gave me the yes to we-"

"Darling!" Dad's voice echoes, "You got some splainin to do!"

"What? What is the pro-" Mom gasps, "Oh, my pretty daughter." She rushes towards me, "Get the camera, honey! Get it!" She hits dad's arm, "Our daughter is so beaut-" Mom stops talking when she sees dad's look.

"You're okay with her wearing that dress?" Dad asks.

Mom smiles, "You used to like it when I wear these dresses."

"And thus, the root of our problems."

Mom exhales, "Don't be such a tight butt. You brought Trevon condoms." She removes the curls from my shoulders, "Let my cute baby wear whatever she likes."

Dad baffled, "I-I don't know what you're talking about." He looks at Trevon, "Right?"

Trevon nods, "There are no condoms inside my room."

Mom glanced at them, "Yes, I did not see a box when I folded and put away your underwear."

"Mom," Trevin whined.