XXVI. Snakes

Ava's POV:

I can pull myself up, I always can.

What a lie.

The tears came in streams and the desire to fall into my brother's arms reaches its height. But as I look forward, I saw Maeve, in her white wedding dress.

With a deep inhalation, I wipe off the tears and walked away.

Away from the hand the reaches out towards me.

And when I got closer to the main character of the day, I can see her growing smile. I stop in front of her, "Thanks for coming," she said.

"Drop the act. Trevon can't hear us."

Maeve reaches for her stomach, "We're still thankful. We all are."

"I know." I step towards her. "That isn't Trevon's child."

Maeve smiles, "And who do you think he'll believe?" Maeve accepted my challenge. "I'm his wife. You're the sister who walked out on her own family."

I swallow the lump inside my throat.

"And without me, he would've died that day."

The beating inside my chest only grows louder.

"So, tell me. Who would he believe?" She cocks her head. "His lifesaver or the sister that was never there for him?"

Over the years, our family fell apart more and more. The visitation thinned, holidays were no longer celebrated together. And after mom left everyone, the atmosphere only got worse. Dad got hospitalized for overworking. Trevon fell into depression.

Me?

I was enjoying my luxurious life with the upper class.

I turn my back on my family.

As horrible as Maeve is, she was still there for them.

She took the role I was supposed to fulfill.

She took care of my dad while he was in the hospital.

She stops Trevon from committing suicide.

Maeve steps back, "That's what I thought."

And as she walks past by me, I couldn't utter a single word of rebuttal.

The tears flowed unchecked down my cheeks and dripped from my chin. I was too sad to cry out or wail, so I just stood there.

When I regain control, I turned around to see Trevon in Maeve's arms. He held firmly onto his lifesaver as his body trembles. Maeve looks at me and as her red lips curl into a smile she mouthed: "Leave."

And without another sound, I walk away from my brother once more. I still couldn't do it. I still couldn't face them. My eyes were brim with tears once more and I ran.

That's all I've been doing.

Running.

Faster.

Faster.

Faster.

Forever tormented by a past that could not be undone.

My heel cracked and I land on the pebbles. With a trembling hand, I reach for the blood on my leg, only to retract it. Soon, I found myself in the corner of the hallway, burying myself in sorrow.