XXIV. Dimes of the Year

Ava's POV:

Winnie's hands halted, and my eyes went towards the pile of games on the floor.

"Hey," Winnie said slowly. "How are you?"

"Fine," I respond.

"That's good." She smiles, "What got you spinning around here?"

I cannot believe she is asking me why I'm at Ben's house when she's in his room. Granted, so am I, but in my defense, I was going to get Ben until I heard a certain someone's voice. "My mom asked me to drop off two pies for Ben's family."

Winnie nods, "That's nice."

My eyes roamed around the place. Ben's room is the same as all others, video games on one end, piles of clothes on the other, and a desk that's meant to be for studying. With the pile of snacks on his desk, I can conclude, he doesn't use it for studying.

Then, I found it.

Luggage inside the closet.

My eyes revert towards Winnie.

Her eyes flicker towards the suitcase then back at me. "It's not what it looks like."

"Yes. It does not look like your suitcase is inside of Ben's closet."

"I can explain."

"I'm listening."

"Ava! Where are-" Ben stops talking when he sees me standing in front of his bedroom. Steadily, he paces towards me until Winnie comes into view. "I can explain."

I cross my arms, "I'm listening."

"I-I-I-I-"

Winnie exhaled, "Okay! Fine! I've been staying at Ben's house!" Winnie grabbed a stack of games and pounded it into the shelf, "Happy?"

Happy wouldn't be the emotion that describes me.

"Why?" I ask.

"Why else?" Winnie responds. She crossed her arms and turned the other cheek, "He's my boyfriend."

Hold the phone.

"And a boyfriend takes care of his girlfriend."

I look at Ben.

He gave me an uncomfortable smile.

"His words, not mine," Winnie said.

"Ben?"

Ben twiddle with his fingers, "Av, you know Winnie's situation. I can't leave her inside that house with that man."

"And you think, sneaking her into your house is the best idea?"

"Better than leaving her there," he rebuttal. Ben pushes me inside the room and closes the door. He blocks the exit with his body, "Promise me you won't tell anyone."

I exhale, "Ben-"

"Promise!"

"Ben. You-"

"Promise!"

"But-"

"Promise!"

I groaned, "Fine! Promise. Promise. Ya'll happy?" I couldn't deal with this situation, not right now.

I turn towards Winnie, "Does your mom know?"

"I could be inside a ditch, and she wouldn't know," she replies. "She went to New York with her boss."

"Your mom is a maid. Why would-" Ben stops talking when Winnie looks at him. "Oh, right. Sorry bunny."

Bunny?